FORUMS: list search recent posts

50i to 24p conversion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
arnoud delporte
50i to 24p conversion
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:52:11 pm

Hi,
first of all, sorry for asking a question that no doubt has been asked before, but the search function seems to malfunction. I don't get any results on any search term I enter, maybe it's me, maybe there's something wrong in the cow's stables...
So here's my problem:

I got a commercial to update, meaning mostly inserting a bunch of new sponsorlogos in the endshot. I got to build it up from a 1920*1080 targa sequence, originally shot on an SI2k camera and edited on Avid. There are exactly 750 tga's, so I'm presuming it's 50i (more or less the HDTV standard around here). I edited everything in prores and exported some SD QT's for broadcast. But this commecial is also for projection in movie theatres and they want 24p. Since they don't mind that it'll become a bit longer than 30", I figured I'd just export it as 1920*1080 24p QT. And then the shit hit the fan: I got black with just a few frames of image now and then, except for the packshot I made in photoshop with some animated titles in FCP, that was perfect.
Where did I go wrong? Should I have edited it as 25p? Should I have done the conversion in cinema tools (which I know only by name)? This whole job has left a big dent in my reputation (there were other issues, like gamma shifts) and I'm trying to learn so I can avoid this next time. Although I should have admitted I didn't know what I was doing to begin with...

Thanks for any input,
Arnoud.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 50i to 24p conversion
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:11:57 pm

[arnoud delporte] "..I figured I'd just export it as 1920*1080 24p QT..."

That's where you went wrong: you exorted from the timeline AND you altered the frame rate. Export your usual 25fps, self-contained movie from FCP. Then use Cinema Tools to conform the file to either 23.976 fps or 24 fps, whichever the cinema requires.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

arnoud delporte
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:36:03 pm

Thanks a lot Dave, that's what I thought/feared. I really need to get into cinema tools, even if this is the first time I needed it after three years of FCP.
Any thoughts on the gamma shift? I just put the tga's on a prores timeline and saw nothing suspicious, but then I got complaints from the broadcaster saying the image was dull and desaturated compared to last year's spot. Remember, I never saw the original spot, except on Vimeo, and the whole thing had a kind of bleach bypass/fluorescent lights kind of look.

Greets,
A.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:53:03 pm

Sorry, no clue on color saturation. I thought the big problem was the frame rate issue.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]