FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seperating music from dialogue on QT file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ellison
Seperating music from dialogue on QT file
on Mar 3, 2010 at 11:27:18 am

Hi,

I doubt this is the right place but I'm working in final cut. Basically, we have a finished film as a QT file with stereo sound channels 1 and 2. We've been asked to cut down the duration. However, in order for this to work we need to remove the music that lies underneath the audio in the video. Is this at all possible with a final mix?

Any help would be so appreciated, this would really help me out.

Regards

Gary

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Seperating music from dialogue on QT file
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:35:58 pm

Depending on the relative music to non-music mix-level, and the kind of music vs. the kind of audio you wish to "save" you are looking at a sliding scale from "extremely difficult" to "completely impossible."

Using a Noise Gate and/or Decompression, or an active digital noise-recognition filter might be a place to start.

But if the music and non-music tracks are close to the same level and timbre, they may be virtually inseparable.

Best bet is to entirely replace the audio (sans music) via foley, dialogue replacement, or a complete re-shoot.

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:40:49 pm

Thank you for your response.

Yes I knew this was likely the case, was just holding out hope. Just in the interest of testing things out can you recommend a good noise recognition software? Or is there something in Final Cut Studio that will do the job?

Thank you!

Gary

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:29:57 pm

Sorry, but I'm with Thax on this one. There really aren't any good ways to do this. You can only trust to luck that the cuts won't sound jarring.

I expect the original files are long gone, which is why you're now grasping at straws.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:33:31 pm

Hey Dave,

Thank you for your response. Yes that's about the only option I've got at the minute, I've been put in a difficult position!

Yes, this was edited before I ever arrived, and the previous editor did not keep the original project nor original footage. Yay!

Thanks once again, much appreciated.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]