FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed HD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Cohen
Uncompressed HD?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:17:54 am

Does anyone actually work with uncompressed HD footage or is it mainly Apple ProRes.

We are looking at going Tapeless HD and my engineering consultant wants to sell us an faster larger SAN, to work with uncompressed HD footage.

I think her is just trying to sell us more then what we need.

We were planning on going Apple Pro Res HD.

Opinions, please???

Steve Cohen

Senior Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Uncompressed HD?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:20:24 am

The question is what format are you working with and what format are you delivering? Do your projects or clients require Uncompressed HD?

We have media arrays that run up to 550MB/s and faster to support Uncompressed HD and 2k workflows when we need it. But we work pretty much 100% in ProRes these days using an Ethernet based SAN. Saves a ton of money and for what we're delivering, broadcast HD and independent features, ProRes works.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:28:08 am

[walter biscardi] "The question is what format are you working with and what format are you delivering? Do your projects or clients require Uncompressed HD? "

We will be working primarily with whatever format we shoot.
Right now it is SD (D-9, Beta SP or Mini DV)

We are our own clients so to speak.
We produce 30 min "Educational" shows. Soft sell advertising and our participants have no real say in what we edit on.

Right now we are delivering SD, because the networks that we air on either do not require HD or don't broadcast HD them selves, but we are just preparing for the future.

Steve Cohen

Supervisor of Post Production

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:59:27 am

ProRes 422 is perfect for your workflow. No need for ProRes HQ and uncompressed HD is overkill for you.

The price of configured RAIDS have come way way down in price. $1150 for a 8TB RAID 5.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:22:42 pm

For what you're describing, as Steve already mentioned, ProRes is your workflow and you can go with something as simple as FW800 drives to suppor that.

Though I would rather you go with a high speed RAID 5 box so you have options. If you have multiple workstations look at my article on Shared Storage without Breaking the Bank about Ethernet based SAN. You can cut ProRes 720 and 1080 all day long just using ethernet cable as your connection to the machines.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 1:22:11 pm

That's what I was thinking.

We have a 16TB Rourke Data Raid 5 Fiber SAN, with 6 Final Cut stations on it with Command Soft's FibreJet controlling it.

Thanks for the feedback and confirming my thoughts.

Steve Cohen

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:30:11 pm

Then you are good to go. If you need to go uncompressed at any point in the future for a project or two, I would just purchase a local 8TB SAS/SATA RAID and connect it via an Atto R380 card. That will give you in the neighborhood of 500MB/s for that one machines. That's what we have here, two local 8TB RAIDs when we need 2k, RED or Uncompressed HD work.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:15:42 pm

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Steve Cohen

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>