FORUMS: list search recent posts

Half of my imported phtos need to be rendered? confused

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon plante
Half of my imported phtos need to be rendered? confused
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:42:54 pm

I am doing an animation for class, I have a macbook pro 17' and am using FCP 6. My problem is when i import my photos half of them need to be rendered while the other half are fine, Im so confused. Why would half have to be rendered, they are all the same format and Fps. Whats interesting is if i drag the last half above the first half on the timeline, then, they dont need to be rendered. am I missing a weird setting somewhere that doing this, Please help!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Half of my imported phtos need to be rendered? confused
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:48:47 pm

Are any of them being resized in FCP?

Not much info in that post of yours. What file types from PS, are they RGB/CYMK, with alphas? What are you doing with them in FCP?

Return to posts index

jon plante
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:53:46 pm

Sorry, Im a newb. They are the raw jpegs RGB, I think it might have to do with the RT which I have set now to unlimited instead of safe, but I think my real problem lies in the 1gb of RAM I have :( would you recomend me importig them into PS and then exporting them back out?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:34:01 am

[jon plante] "raw jpegs RGB"
As in camera RAW format? If so yes, tiff and png are good for editing, It is also worth resizing them as much as possible. The less work FCP has to do the better both for speed and quality.

Return to posts index

jon plante
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:56:20 am

awesome, thanks so much for the quick response, this is a great resource

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:20:02 am

[Michael Sacci] "[jon plante] "raw jpegs RGB"
As in camera RAW format?"

Yea thats definitely confusing as camera raw and jpeg are completely different.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

jon plante
on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:51:41 am

Yeh, just jpeg, its all worked out now though, thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:36:00 am

Jon,

What the other fellas didn't explain was why you got to a certain point at which your stills suddenly required rendering. Still wanna know that?

The answer is, stills are RAM hogs in FCP, and if you start piling them on a new timeline one at a time, they will eventually grab ahold of all available RAM.

So, you will see that the first several stills require no rendering, Then, after several more, FCP will show a green bar indicating that it will play, but in Preview mode. Then, after a few more, you'll probably get the red render bar. At that point, the stills have all your RAM and only rendering will release it. Then you can pile more stills in and the process of eating up available RAM starts all over.

So, the idea of making the stills smaller gives you more stills before your RAM is gobbled up and rendering becomes necessary.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

jon plante
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:17:32 am

ahhhh makes sense, thanks for the follow up

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]