FORUMS: list search recent posts

playback monitor help

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Wycoff
playback monitor help
on Mar 1, 2010 at 4:12:21 pm

Finally realized I need to hook up SOME kind of playback monitor to my imac. is there a standard way? I saw the canopus 55 and 110's. Is this a good solution? Can it daisy chain on firewire drives?

So when we review the rouch cut, we get a "more true" representation of what the clients will get on their 4 x 3 TV's... ;-)

iMac family,

G4iMac, eMac, 2 minis, core duo macBook, and Intel iMac. Most with 10.4.x and FCP 5.1.4, except Intel with FCS 6.x

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: playback monitor help
on Mar 1, 2010 at 5:32:00 pm

With DV, then the Canopus 110, or your camera, connected via firewire might work. Might be an issue with the hard drive attached, but this being DV, it might work. Try it out.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 1, 2010 at 8:07:37 pm

I'd opt for the Canopus box over a camera or a low end DV deck. Most low end DV decks and cameras output 0 IRE instead of 7.5, so everything appears too dark. At least the Canopus has a 7.5 IRE DIP switch.

For reference:

http://www.signvideo.com/dv-black-level-dvd-7.5-ire-0-ntsc-part-2.htm

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2010 at 8:12:24 pm

Well, if the footage is DV, then the IRE is ZERO...not 7.5. 7.5 is for analog video only. And if you captured analog video as DV...then the IRE is now 0. You cannot monitor 8-bit uncompressed analog video, or ProRes analog video via the canopus.

Shane

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 1, 2010 at 8:27:17 pm

You've misunderstood me. I'm not saying that the DV signal has setup, I'm saying that the analog outputs of cheap DV decks and cameras don't add the necessary 7.5 IRE setup for NTSC monitors on output, causing video to look too dark. More detailed info here:

http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#Setup

"So if you take a tape shot in a DV or DVCAM camcorder and play it back in one of these low-end decks, the analog output will NOT have setup. The playback will be fine in Asia, but it'll be "too dark" in the Americas."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2010 at 8:41:01 pm

Ahhhhh...I did misunderstand you. Thanks for clearing that up.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]