FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extremely slow Export HDV to quicktime using H.264

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ahmed Selim
Extremely slow Export HDV to quicktime using H.264
on Mar 1, 2010 at 4:48:34 am

I am running into extremely long conversion time when trying to export HDV footage shot using my v1u . I have tried going straight to compressor,creating a separate reference file and sent that to compressor as well as quicktime conversion. All of these options

The sequences that i am trying to convert are 3-5 minutes in length each. I have yet to have one finish, I cancelled my latest attempt after watching it go for 2 hours and be less than half way through the first of 5 sequences.

I am running FCP6, on an iMac G5 2.1GHz/ 1.5GB RAM. I understand that this process is typically slow however given the length of these sequences (3-5 min each) I would have to assume that something is wrong.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Extremely slow Export HDV to quicktime using H.264
on Mar 1, 2010 at 1:34:08 pm

I don't think any thing is wrong. You just have a computer who needs a lot of time to do this. Compressing HDV is slow enough as it is... and then you are going to h.264 which is also notoriously slow... so don't stop the compression.. just live with it until you can get a faster machine.

When the G5's were replaced by Intel machines, I jumped to an 8 core for the speed. It really made a difference. Plus, you don't have to work in HDV anymore with them. You can capture the HDV as ProRes, which makes your compression times go WAYYYY down.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Ahmed Selim
Re: Extremely slow Export HDV to quicktime using H.264
on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:35:14 pm

Thanks for the advice! It looks like I will have to try that until I can upgrade to some newer intel baseds machines (I don't know why but i was under the impression that ProRes did not support timecode but I guess i had it confused with AIC) It also looks like I might be able to do it during capture which would be a great help.

Thanks again for the advice! Now I just have to go out and get some more disk!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]