FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS capture using JVC through Sony DV deck into FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hazel hill
VHS capture using JVC through Sony DV deck into FCP
on Feb 27, 2010 at 12:41:14 am

hi all,

i am trying to capture and edit a vhs tape into my final cut pro project.
i have a jvc super vhs player as well as a sony dv deck that feed into FCP.
my dv deck can view and capture video (from dv tapes) but i can't seem to do the same when i play a vhs tape.

i am pretty sure i have my wires mixed up...literally! can someone tell me what i might be doing wrong?!?!?

Return to posts index

Eric Nelson
Re: VHS capture using JVC through Sony DV deck into FCP
on Feb 27, 2010 at 4:15:05 am

I use a JVC SR-V101US connected via S-Video (+ audio) to my Sony PD170.

My VHS tapes have gaps (e.g tape removed & reinserted) and FCP is not able to ignore them (nor is Avid, BTW). The solution I found is to go directly from VHS to DV tape FIRST, and then to FCP from DV tape.

This has the added benefit of preserving the content of the VHS tapes.

Best,
Eric

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 27, 2010 at 3:53:37 pm

The basic setup would be to feed audio and video from your VHS deck: 1 wire from video out of VHS deck to video in on dv deck, and two wires from audio out of VHS to audio in on DV deck). Make sure the dv deck is in Input (so you can see the VHS video on the dv deck). Then if FCP sees the dv deck, it should work. I've never done this, but I've read posts claiming it works.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

hazel hill
on Mar 1, 2010 at 7:56:20 pm

how do i get my dv deck into "imput mode"? i've done all the connections you suggested but i keep getting the error "this operation could not be completed as there is no video." EEEEk

thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]