FORUMS: list search recent posts

strange audio issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
strange audio issue
on Feb 26, 2010 at 7:46:25 pm

Occasionally, I have an issue where edits to music in FCP timeline don't represent the actual frames that are set to play...it's like it's been slipped. However, if I look at the waveform, it shows what should be there...ie - fade up. But if you listen, it doesn't sound anything like the waveform shown. If you double click the clip and load into viewer, it plays fine before the in point...but when it gets to the in point, it jumps to something different.

I haven't found a way to fix it, and I haven't been able to track down why/when it is happening. Anyone else experience this?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: strange audio issue
on Feb 26, 2010 at 7:55:18 pm

Do you know that mp3 files in FCP are evil, and should be converted to aiffs prior to editing?

If they're already in aiff form, go to the Render Manager. Delete the audio render files for the timeline in question. Don't do this by removing the render files from the Final Cut Pro Documents folder, do it in the render manager. It makes a difference.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Feb 26, 2010 at 7:59:50 pm

Dave,

They are AIFF...I know not to use compressed audio:

Format: 16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo, 44.100 kHz

You know what...as I just copied that...I realized that my comp is set to 48Khz...I changed it to match and it works fine...thanks for the post, I played with it for about 45minutes before I posted...I couldn't figure this out!

I'm sure my VO is 48...so how do you mix 48 & 44?

-Jason

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:06:04 pm

[Jason Brown] "so how do you mix 48 & 44? "

You really shouldn't Jason. FCP is 48khz native... You can get away with it sometimes, but always better not even to go there.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 26, 2010 at 8:51:46 pm

You can use QuickTime Pro to change a 44.1 file to 48k. It's best to keep your sequences at 48k especially if you exchange files with others. They will assume the audio is at 48k.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:06:15 pm

I always run 44.1 & .mp3 audio file thru Soundtrack - outputting a 48k file.
Quick & Easy.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:14:51 pm

When you say "native" what do you mean?

The timeline can be set for 48 or 44...that's my whole understanding about FCP is that there isn't really a "native" ... you can have a timeline that uses any compressor and any frame rate and any dimensions...there's really no "native" in final cut.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:22:38 pm

You can use 44.1, but professional video apps/systems use 48k audio.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:26:45 pm

Jason, every digital video machine except D1 records audio at 48khz. Although the music industry chose 44.1 for CD, the video world decided to use 48khz as the native or standard rate for digital video a long time ago.

This is because it is already a pain dealing with frame rates with decimals (29.97 etc). 48khz data blocks are neater when divided by NTSC frame rates so the standard was set and adopted by all machine makers and broadcasters many years ago.

I don't know why FCP even has 44.1khz as an option but please never use it and always convert all audio to aif 48khz before putting it any where near a FCP timeline. A good percentage of "strange audio..." posts are caused by the lack of this simple procedure.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:30:34 pm

[Jason Brown] "my whole understanding about FCP is that there isn't really a "native""

FCP is, by design, a 48khz application, which thus adheres to the modern broadcast and professional standard. This is why almost every preset, Easy Setup, etc. comes in at 48khz right out of the box.

Does this mean you can't change the settings, create new presets, and/or modify the Easy Setups? No it doesn't.

From a purely semantic standpoint you are probably correct, but practically speaking, FCP is a 48khz application, so call it whatever you wish. Just use 48khz most of the time, okay?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Feb 27, 2010 at 2:38:15 am

Sure...I really didn't know this was the case. I had been using 44.1 in my previous job (betacam - D1).

I've been trying to work at 48, but this particular music track was one I had pulled in early on in my new position. My standard protocol from now on will be to work exclusively at 48, and I'll make sure to pay attention to this specific aspect.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This is what makes our forum so great!

-Jason

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Feb 28, 2010 at 2:52:32 am

Get Digital Heaven Loader, it handles all conversion issues and lets you drag and drop just about anything into FCP, even from iTunes.

I got it after reading a review of it here on the COW, and found it to save time in my workflows.

Digital Heaven also has several other useful tools for FCP editing, including a lot of freebies.

[I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.]

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Feb 28, 2010 at 12:26:32 pm

Looks impressive - I'll look into it.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 28, 2010 at 11:15:41 pm

I second the Loader recommendation. It's a handy little program.

John

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:46:01 pm

[Jason Brown] "...edits to music in ...don't represent the actual frames that are set to play...it's like it's been slipped. "Hi
Happens all the time in my old version of FCP,,,
It happens where linked audio is unlinked from its corresponding video once its on the timeline, and slid so the red + or - slippage indicators are visible.

If you fetch one of these clips up into the viewer the graphical representation of the audio is out-of-sync garbage.
My workaround is to paste the audio clip into an empty sequence, where the waveform reverts to a correct display, do the edit, then put it back in place of the original.

Pain...
Since no one else ever mentions it I assume everyone else works on double-headed audio where they never edit the original camera audio captured with the video out of sync from its picture.

With every version of FCP (since v2) I've hoped that this bug would have been fixed. I've just bought FCS 3 so I live in hope that they've done something about it!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]