FORUMS: list search recent posts

dropped clips, Freezing timeline.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Goldman
dropped clips, Freezing timeline.
on Feb 24, 2010 at 5:50:26 pm

Hi..
I just finished a small project about 6 minutes and it was a LABOR. In the timeline, frames kept dropping, and freezing, and I dont know how to fix this? Can someone walk me thru how to make all the clips I use from my camera, or upload offline, or from different sources all uniform? WOuld that help? How can I make it so the timeline works seamlessly and stops this freezing and dropping frames?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: dropped clips, Freezing timeline.
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:11:28 pm

Julie,

First, welcome to The Cow. You've come to the best place on the Web to get information about using FCP.

Now, for the harsh reality... To get useful help, you've got to supply us with lots more information than you have above.

What types of media were all of the ones you mixed?
Were the frame rates consistent, or was that mixed too
Which media type comprised the majority of your footage?
What are your sequence settings?
What version of FCP are you using?
What type of hard drives do you have for your media?

Keep in mind that we are in a business of precision, and you simply can't be too precise or supply too much info if you want really the correct answers.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Julie Goldman
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:44:42 pm

THANK YOU! I hope to learn a ton here!

OK sooo, Info for you...

What types of media were all of the ones you mixed?

Media files were .mov files uploaded directly from an AIPEK handheld little HD camera. We're talkin real Gorilla here my friend.

Were the frame rates consistent, or was that mixed too
Hmm, I think theyre mixed, but honestly I dont know the answer to that, BUT I can say - When I loaded files from YOUTUBE lets say Mixed with these files , they were different sizes, and yes frame rates I believe...

Which media type comprised the majority of your footage?
THE .mov files from the camera.

What are your sequence settings?
Sequence Settings....I dont even know - I use easy setup on Final cut but then it asked me --- your files are not the same sequence as the timeline and should be reset - and it did it for me, but then when mixing the different files, it wouldnt do that for all of them..
What version of FCP are you using?
What type of hard drives do you have for your media?
Hard Drives I use my IMAC 10.6 - WHile editing, and then when its done I dump everything to a LACIE Hard Drive but not until its all done.

Hows all that for less informative? or does that help??

Thank you!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:28:47 pm

Julie,

Okay, it's clear, you need a fair amount of FCP tutelage. Right now you're heading toward a world of hurt.

I'm in the middle of a project that I simply must get out the door immediately, but, I'll be happy to give you pointers when I'm done.

Meanwhile, all media video, stills, etc. must be on your Lacie external drive while editing and capturing, or you will drop frames and never achieve smooth playback.

Also meanwhile, watch the following brief tutorial and commit it to memory.
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/biscardi_walter/realtime_sequences....'> http://library.creativecow.net/articles/biscardi_walter/realtime_sequences....

Also, consider hiring a consultant or a mentor. You can just hang in there and keep learning here, but a consultant or mentor will get you going in the right direction much, much faster.

Okay?

BTW, where are you located?

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]