FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow on FCP project between two Macintoshes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilbert Daspit
Workflow on FCP project between two Macintoshes
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:03:56 pm

Hi --
I have a lot of work to do on a 1/2 hour video between now and next week and would like to do some of that work on a Mac PowerBook G4. The computer in my office at work is a Power PC G5 (tower model). The real complication is the difference in FCP version and OS X version.
The Power PC has just been upgraded to OS X v. 10.5.8 with FCP v. 6.0.6. It has 2.7Ghz dual processors and 4Gb of DDR SDRAM.
Meanwhile, the PowerBook is a Power PC G4 using OS X v. 10.4.11, with FCP v. 6.0. It has 1.67Ghz and 1Gb of DDR2 SDRAM.
I imagine that whatever work I do on the PowerBook G4 will be recognizable to the G5, but that I won't be able to move stuff from the G5 back to the PowerBook, is that right? (So, I could log, cut segments together, even add effects on the G4, and have the project recognized).
My co-worker who does our system maintenance will try to upgrade the PowerBook this week (so it's compatible with the G5), but she can't promise this. Since I'd really like to use the PowerBook at home this weekend, (as opposed to coming to the office)can I get by
if she isn't able to do the upgrade? (Or should I just ask her to wait on upgrading the PowerBook and use it as is.)
By the way, I've already started logging clips for the project on the PowerBook, but haven't created the actual project file for the program -- I just created a project for logging into.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Workflow on FCP project between two Macintoshes
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:31:14 pm

I'd run software update on the laptop for starters.. get to the last version it will update to. Do the same with the G5. It then should pass the project files back and forth without a hitch. Doesn't matter which OS they each are running at all.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Gilbert Daspit
on Feb 24, 2010 at 3:30:18 pm

Jerry, thanks for the reply.
It's good to know the OS won't be an issue. Ideally, I wouldn't start the project before conforming the laptop and the G5 to make sure they're running the same FCP versions. But that's the issue -- I can't control when this is done, nor can I put off the finish date for this project.
So I just want to make sure do beginning steps of my project on the PowerBook, knowing that once I import those parts into the G5, they can't be passed back to the PowerBook. I'm just trying to insure that if I start the project on the PowerBook, the G5 will upconvert the work.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:34:48 pm

Gilbert, I'd update that laptop anyway. Lots of bug fixes were done from FCP 6 to FCP 6.06...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]