FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Grfx Card Advise Fast!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tours
Need Grfx Card Advise Fast!
on Feb 24, 2010 at 1:59:10 pm

Consider good or bad luck but my 2008 Mac Pro 2.8 has been declared legally dead by Applecare and they are replacing it with a new 2.9.
The grfx card they are offering is the Geforce 120.
Should I hold out for the ATI Radeon HD 4870 or does it really make a difference?? Or should I consider holding out my Geforce 8800GT and continue using it?

Which is the best card for FCP? We mostly work in DVCPRO HD in a double monitor configuration. I don't use AE (learning) or Motion (still new)or Color (toooooo complicated) but I use a lot of Boris Red. To me they are just puter monitors but I understand they now do processing as well.

I am not aware that my current grfx card holds me back in any way, though it may in ways I don't know.

Anyway, before they wake up in Cupertino and finalize the config, I would sure appreciate some advice.

1. Accept the Gforce 120
2. Politely demand the ATI Radeon HD 4870
3. Keep my Gforce 8800GT

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Need Grfx Card Advise Fast!
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:29:38 pm

I'd pay the extra even for the ATI card myself... FCP uses it a bit with many of it's effects, and Color (hey, jump in it's great my friend...) as well as Motion takes advantage of the GPU's.. you'd see faster renders with any of FCP's FxPlug class filters. Not sure of the Boris plugs, but they too might be FxPlug based, and if they are, they too will render faster.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 24, 2010 at 3:08:10 pm

Jerry - I really appreciate hearing from such and expert so fast. One clarification - if the choice were between keeping my 8800GT or the 120 which would you choose?

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Feb 24, 2010 at 5:29:37 pm

generally speaking, go with which ever card has more RAM.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:17:27 pm

Apple agreed to the ATI Radeon HD 4870 board. Thanks, peter

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL