FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec could not be opened

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Baron
Codec could not be opened
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:01:12 am

Hey guys,
I am currently working on a project, where I have to edit material from data disks given to me from a friend. The disks he gave me only have .AVI files, with the CDVC - Canopus DV Codec. I am using FCP 6.0.5, I was just wondering the best way to make the files viewable in Final Cut. Would I convert them, or install the codec?

Thanks a bunch

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Codec could not be opened
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:38:30 am

FCP is quicktime based so it would be best to convert the files to quicktime DV before editing

Return to posts index

Jeff Baron
on Feb 24, 2010 at 6:55:39 am

Thank you for the quick response.

If I open the .AVI file in QT I get audio, but no video.

Do you know of any converters that would read this codec. I have tried MP4 Converter, and MPEG Streamclip, neither of them seemed to work. I would convert the file to a .mov and again there would be no video.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:30:49 am

I am guessing that Canopus DV codec is basically DV codec wrapped with some Canopus meta data. I am surprised that it doesn't appear as straight DV in Quicktime or Mpeg Streamclip.

Have you tried the Canopus web site to see if they have down loadable codecs or asked the person who sent the files if they can supply the codec or preferably quicktime DV files.

My Google search came up with this as top item -http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Canopus_DV_Codec.htm

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Feb 24, 2010 at 5:50:10 pm

I would also try sucking it up via iMovie. The program is pretty robust when it comes to dealing with consumer camera formats and it will automatically make the footage into Quicktimes for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]