FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP settings for TV Broadcasting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maurice Salazar
FCP settings for TV Broadcasting
on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:50:24 pm

I am filmming a series for TV. I am shooting in HD since I have 2 EX-3 camaras. The station wants me to provide for them the SD file since the TV station is not in HD. What can I do so I son't loose so much picture quality. Right now I am giving them the HD file (1920x1080 24fps AppleProREs)and they are rendering in their timeline and doing print to video to a DVC/PRO deck. I loose alot of quality. Is there a better way to do it.
Thanks
Maurice

Maurice Salazar
Valdense Films
valdensefilms@gmail.com
(240)893-5510
http://www.valdensefilms.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: FCP settings for TV Broadcasting
on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:06:43 pm

Do the downconvert through a video card from AJA or similar out to a Digibeta deck.

Return to posts index

Maurice Salazar
on Feb 23, 2010 at 7:31:31 pm

Thanks for your response
I need to ask them that question.
I will keep you posted
Maurice

Maurice Salazar
Valdense Films
valdensefilms@gmail.com
(240)893-5510

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:56:57 pm

doing the conversion in Compressor would yield better results as well... pretty much anything is better than just rendering in an SD timeline...

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Maurice Salazar
on Feb 23, 2010 at 7:52:27 pm

Thanks for your response.
I tried to use compressor, however since I don't hace a DVCPRO deck to print to video, they have to use Final Cut Pro timeline to import
whatever file I give them to print to video to a deck in the TV station.
I gave them both files a SD and a HD file. Each time they imported each file they had to render it.
So I guess the question remains, what file would mantain better resolucion upon rendering in a SD timeline? a SD file or a HD file

Thanks

Maurice Salazar
Valdense Films
valdensefilms@gmail.com
(240)893-5510

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:35:27 pm

You will need to set compressor's settings to exactly match the sequence setting the station is using... no rendering should be required on their end if you do it correctly.

Find out if they want uncompressed, DVCPro50, DV, etc and if they want 720x480 vs 720x486... these are answers that only the station can give you.

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2010 at 9:28:36 pm

[Maurice Salazar] "...I guess the question remains, what file would mantain better resolution upon rendering in a SD timeline? a SD file or a HD file?"

It all depends on the hardware they have hooked up to their FCP system.

Do they have a nice capture card like an AJA Kona or Blackmagic? Give 'em a ProRes 422 movie at either 29.97 or 24.976, and let them record to their deck: the cards can add 3:2 pulldown if necessary, and they can choose between letterbox and center punch.

Is this a system better suited for editing DV, as in "no array and firewire output"? Use Compressor to make a 4x3 SD ProRes 422 movie, first finding out if they want letterbox or center punch.

Is this an older FCP system, as in PRE-Prores? Better ask them what they'd like for delivery specs.

In fact, you should contact the station RIGHT NOW and get these details straightened out. Quit taking shots in the dark.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Maurice Salazar
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:10:27 pm

Thanks Dave for your input.
I will do that.
Maurice

Maurice Salazar
Valdense Films