FORUMS: list search recent posts

16mm color negative to positive with invert filter?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Flynn
16mm color negative to positive with invert filter?
on Feb 23, 2010 at 3:48:47 pm

Hi
If I were to transfer my 16mm film negative to a digital negative, could I invert it in final cut using the invert filter? I'm afraid the colors would be off.

I know someone who can transfer the film to digital for me, but not someone to develop the film. I was hoping to save money and not have to buy a positive print to transfer.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: 16mm color negative to positive with invert filter?
on Feb 23, 2010 at 5:45:50 pm

Hi Katie, you can't just invert a film negative in FCP and get the "correct" colors because of the orange base of color film negative stock.

It is very rare for people to transfer positive prints of their rushes. The common practice is to transfer the original camera negatives using "best light" or "one light" settings (you can google the terms and learn more about them if you aren't familiar).

If you need to save money, call around and find a facility that will offer you a discount for doing your transfer with a junior tech on an overnight shift. But be aware that if if is an unsupervised transfer, you lose control over the look of your footage.
Hope that helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:11:40 pm

Prints aren't necessary. Any decent telecine facility can transfer your color negative to a positive video. That is how ALL television (shot on film) is done.

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36:53 pm

[Katie Flynn] "I know someone who can transfer the film to digital for me, but not someone to develop the film."

Do you mean to develop the negative, or do you mean to print the negative to a positive print? You cannot scan a negative that hasn't been developed first. Printing is a separate process, usually done in the lab that develops the negative. Printing is no longer necessary for editing, and certainly not needed for scanning. It's best to scan directly from the original camera negative.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]