FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logging Information

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Ries
Logging Information
on Feb 22, 2010 at 8:00:35 pm

I am working on a project to capture a large amount of archived Beta SP and U-Matic tapes. Most of the tapes come with comprehensive log sheets (usually hand written) and I would like to keep this information with the file. I can easily enter the information in while I am logging the video for capture. I was wondering if that information is stored in the captured video file, or in the FCP project file? Also, if it is saved in the video file, is there a simple way to view (and possibly search for) this information without being in Final Cut?

Or, if someone knows a better way to keep this logging information, that would also help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Logging Information
on Feb 22, 2010 at 9:10:56 pm

Information that is stored in the QT is only Reel and Timecode.
(Unlike Avid that stores a shitload of info in the media file itself)

The rest lives in the FCP project.

You can make batch lists using Excel or even any other text editor.
keep those batch lists handy, as they are tab delimited text, and can be used as input for a database if you like.

The manual has some info on how to create them. But if you want to toy with them fast, download the (free) demo of my 422/file logger from my site, toy with it and export some sample batch lists.
You then should have a good idea how to convert the handwritten lists to proper FCP batch lists.
(Or use my logger to re-do them based on the tapes, it should be able to control your deck and give you a huge amount of control)

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Terry Neilson
on Feb 22, 2010 at 9:31:29 pm

Aperture 3 is able to import video assets (44 pro res clips in about 2 seconds). You can customize the metadata fields to include anything you want. You can view your clips, drop them into a "slide" show, export to a variety of formats (iPhone to 1080p). It's worth a look.

moving parts are so last year

MAC Pro quad 2.66, 8GB, XFX 4870, 23" ACD, 10.6.2, FCS3, MXO2 Mini, etc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 22, 2010 at 11:19:20 pm

[Tyler Ries] "Or, if someone knows a better way to keep this logging information, that would also help. Thanks!"

I would capture this to something that supports metadata such as certain specs of MXF. That way, the metadata isn't tied to a specific project and/or database.

You can use this program to capture and log:

http://www.toolsonair.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&I...

Or you can start a database such as one from CatDV.

http://www.squarebox.co.uk/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Virginia Moser
on Mar 1, 2010 at 4:00:41 pm

Hello Tyler,

I am about to log, and possibly capture, in final cut 75 hours of Umatic Tape that I also have written logs for. The time code from the original hi-8 tapes the footage was shot on is burned on to the Umatic Tapes, so I also have that as a reference.

I'd be very curious to hear how your logging has gone and whether you used a Canopus converter to capture the footage and convert it from analog to digital.

Thanks very much, in advance,

Virginia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]