FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help with Pixel aspect ratio problem/issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshman
Need help with Pixel aspect ratio problem/issue
on Feb 22, 2010 at 7:17:04 pm

Hello,

I have read a fair amount on the subject of pixel aspect ratio on these forums but I can't seem to wrap my head around this problem which is probably a simple one...

I have a sequence that goes through a variety of images at different scales and I need to have a thin 10 pixel or so black frame around every image. So instead of changing the scale of every image (which is a few hundred) I thought I could create a black frame image in photoshop with a transparent background and put it on top of all the images. I am working with a DV ntsc sequence. So my question is what size should I create the frame in? I have done one at 720X480 in photoshop and another one at 720X540 expecting to compensate for photoshops square pixel use. Each time I export from final cut, the quicktime does not show my full border that I have created. Am I doing this correctly? When shown on a video monitor will it appear?

thank you for the time and help if any should come,
dan

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Need help with Pixel aspect ratio problem/issue
on Feb 22, 2010 at 7:41:25 pm

Black frame would be easier done by cropping the first clip to suit you, then copy it (cmd+c) and select all other clips in the sequence and right click on one to select "paste attributes". Select the cropping attribute. Voila, you're done.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Feb 22, 2010 at 8:41:19 pm

Thanks for the response Jerry.

I don't think that would work in entirety because a fair amount of my images are a much larger resolution that 720X480. Unless I am missing something obvious.

thanks again,
dan

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 22, 2010 at 9:29:29 pm

Give it a try and see?

Another thing that might work as well or better is to add a border, then do the same attributes but change it to filters.

If you have PS 3, you could also create your border there by selecting the frame size to be the same format as your video. PS 3 has video size presets for this.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Feb 22, 2010 at 10:10:31 pm

Hey Dan,

If the border you're creating in Photoshop and then using in FCP is on the very edge of the frame, then no, this will not show up in a video monitor. In the Canvas window in FCP, if you turn on Show Title Safe, the outer box is Action safe (about 90% of the screen) and the inner box is Title safe (about 80% of the screen) and all graphics should theoretically reside within that Title Safe Zone.

The easiest way to probably solve your problem is to use one of the Video presets Jerry mentioned in Photoshop for your sequence. Make the black edge on a layer, and on the layer beneath it choose an outer frame color (white, whatever) that would be in the Action safe area and beyond. Make sure to have a transparent center where you want your photos to peek through. Open up the Actions pallete and Load the Video Actions, and make an Alpha channel. Save this file off as a layered tiff, bring it into FCP, and place as a top layer over your photos. (For added fun, you could do a vignette on a third layer, where your photos will appear, and the alpha will translate that pretty well.)

The more PITA solution is to still do the black edge only in photoshop, alpha channel action, save off as TIFF, top layer, etc, then individually crop all your photos. Not a party. Been there, done that, and would prefer never to do it again :D

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 23, 2010 at 2:37:15 am

[dan freshman] "So my question is what size should I create the frame in? I have done one at 720X480 in photoshop and another one at 720X540"
That should be OK, but if you go 720x480, you must check the file as NTSC Pixels, if you go 720x540 FC must read them as Square.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Feb 23, 2010 at 9:12:10 am

Hi Dan,
creating a photoshop matte can be a pain, but all the info is there in the file, so you can force FCP to do what you want usually. Put the matte on the timeline above your clips, highlight it then press return. this loads it into the viewer. Keep the matte highlighted though - this will make a green line appear round the matte in the canvas window.

Open the motion tab in the viewer, and go to distort. Change the aspect ratio until the matte is the correct shape, change the motion/scale settings if it is too small.

Or you can use the final cut built in matte, which is probably much easier. Create a matte from the Viewer drop down menu, and then using a mask shape filter you can cut out the middle of it. Much easier....

Best wishes
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]