FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual monitor editing set up?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Dual monitor editing set up?
on Feb 20, 2010 at 7:15:18 pm

I use HDTV's as monitors to edit with since these TV's have the ability of hooking up to my computer. I have an old PowerPC G5 with a ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card. I am currently running DVI out of the tower to the one 26" HDTV and I recently bought a smaller 19" HDTV for a second monitor. At the time of purchase I was just going to use that as a playback monitor but now I want to also use it as a 2nd editing monitor.

I was going to order a DVI - MALE to VGA-Female/DVI Female splitter. When I was reading comments left by folks who had bought that particular splitter they said they could not get both monitors on at the same time and that the splitter was a waste of money.

My question is what do I need to get 2 monitors or HDTV's on at the same time (Dual Monitor set up)? Is there a way to run DVI and VGA out of the computer at the same time? Thats probably a stupid question but those people who have bought that splitter said it didn't work for them.

Thanks

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
Re: Dual monitor editing set up?
on Feb 20, 2010 at 7:46:54 pm

If it's the Radeon 9600 Pro, it has dual DVI ports

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:35:51 pm

If you are using these as computer monitors I question the use of standard HDTV. A 26" tv will only give you 1920x1080 and unless you really like the BIG font and logo, that is not a very good thing to be sitting so close too day in and day out. (2) 23/24" computer monitors will be a lot better on your eyes.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:58:49 pm

I am guessing you are oppose to working with Apple's 30 inch display as well. The size of my screen is not an issue for me. I like having the extra screen space and fonts and logos are normal size. I chose the correct resolution for my TV when I set it up to the computer for editing so everything is fine on that end. No strain on the eyes either.

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 20, 2010 at 10:04:59 pm

No I have a 30" Apple, love it but the resolution is 2560x1600, it is awesome,

But if you like what you got that is all that matters. Macs have supported dual monitors for a long time, all you need to do is to get the correct cable for the other monitor.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 21, 2010 at 6:46:56 am

[Chuck Purnell] "I am guessing you are oppose to working with Apple's 30 inch display as well"

I get the feeling that there is something that you may not fully under stand Chuck. Computer monitors and TV screens are quite different, and are build for different purposes.

Michael was referring to the fact that a TV screen is not built to show the image that I computer puts out the same as a real computer monitor is. The resolutions/refresh rates etc. are completely different.

That is why txt when displayed on a TV does NOT look as crisp as it would if it were displayed on a computer monitor.

That is what Michael was referring to as what will hurt your eyes.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]