FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to deliver HD, NOT Blu Ray

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Ward
How to deliver HD, NOT Blu Ray
on Feb 20, 2010 at 4:25:46 pm

I'm making several videos for a client who wants to show them from a projector onto a screen. The videos are 720p24 HD, no more than 10 minutes in length. I do NOT have a Blu Ray burner so I'd like to know what other options I have for delivery and playback. The customer knows nothing technical other than "we want it on a big screen." I have the option of buying a bluray player or PS3 or something non-professional and inexpensive in order for my client to have playback.

1. Can I export the file, put in on an SD card, and play it from a bluray player that has an SD card slot?
2. Can I do the same thing from a jump drive if the bluray player has a USB slot?
3. What codec and compression settings do I have to use? I know some bluray players say they are AVCHD compatible, but Compressor doesn't really deliver AVCHD.

Thanks for your help. I tried searching the forums but the search function on the cow doesn't seem to be operating at all.

-trevor ward
Red Eye Film Co.
http://www.redeyefilmco.com
orlando, fl

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: How to deliver HD, NOT Blu Ray
on Feb 20, 2010 at 4:44:25 pm

AppleTV plays 720p very nicely and is quite easy to use for presentations. It's a cheap solution if you don't want to deal with BluRay.

Compressor has presets to make files for AppleTV

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 20, 2010 at 4:47:08 pm

[Trevor Ward] "1. Can I export the file, put in on an SD card, and play it from a bluray player that has an SD card slot?
2. Can I do the same thing from a jump drive if the bluray player has a USB slot? "

Hi Trevor,
I've never seen these BR players, but I guess that if they have SD or USB reading capabilities is precisely to read HD files from the there.
Compressor makes MPEG-2 that works well in BR. The H264 of Compressor used to have some problems, to be used for BR. I don't know if this have been fixed.
Here you have the list of formats supported by PS:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html
Probably the BR will be able to read similar formats from the SD or USB card, but this I don't know.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Feb 20, 2010 at 6:21:41 pm

Check out the WD Media Player. AFAIK, the greatest thing ever invented. It a tiny unit that will playback 1080p HD, has HDMI out. Your HD files can be stored on cheap Flash drives and it actually works flawlessly. I give one to all my clients, so I can just go to their office, playback the project for them on their big screen in full HD. Oh, it's only $100.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=734

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Feb 22, 2010 at 7:56:51 am

The WD HD Media Player is a great product. Not expensive, small, easy to use. Get it!

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Feb 20, 2010 at 6:38:25 pm

Does your customer already have the projector and screen? If so, what do they currently have connected to it?

If they don't already have something, then buy an Apple TV. It's what we use for our digital signage and it works awesome!

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:12:03 pm

[Mark Petereit] "Does your customer already have the projector"

This the the BIG question. If they dont have a HD Projector then none of the aforementioned solutions are going to work. If they only have a standard projector instead of a HD projector you cannot feed a HD signal into it.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:08:38 pm

AppleTV will work with any TV or projector that has component inputs -- including standard def TVs. If it has component inputs, it'll work.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:13:56 pm

[Mark Petereit] "AppleTV will work with any TV"

NOT quite true.

From Apples Website

Compatible with enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of 1080p/1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), or 480p 60Hz

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

Enhanced definition and HD only.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:16:20 pm

Then someone better tell my old Sony DV set, because I'm looking at it displaying my Apple TV right now.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:17:38 pm

Its probably an enhanced definition, enhanced definition TV is NOT a HD TV.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:20:23 pm

I got this TV when I graduated from high school in 1985. It ain't enhanced anything. ;-)

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:22:36 pm

All I will say is that I have had bad experiences then a venue told me they would provide a HD projector and really only provided a standard projectoer. I wold not get it to accept a signal from My Apple TV.

Return to posts index

Trevor Ward
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:26:49 pm

I believe they hooked up their cable set top box to watch the superbowl in high def. So it IS an HD capable projector. Now, I think it takes dvi connection or possibly component. I asked if it had HDMI and he said NO.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:36:47 pm

There are dvi-hdmi adapters

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]