FORUMS: list search recent posts

Magic bullet or Color for color grading?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
Magic bullet or Color for color grading?
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:16:36 am

Hi

Need to do better quality color grading on my stuff than just using 3-way color corrector...so do you favor Magic Bullet or Apple's color? Which is easier to use?

Thanks

K
http://www.effectivevideo.net

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Magic bullet or Color for color grading?
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:51:19 am

Color is a serious step up from the 3 way CC. It is powerful therefore there is a learning curve. If you are familiar with other grading systems it is not difficult. If you intend to go this way, FCS3 with Color 1.5 is a big improvement in stable round tripping with FCP but do your homework before upgrading to FCS3.

I haven't used Magic Bullet so can't comment on a comparison.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:52:43 am

Magic Bullet COLORISTA. Plugin works right there in FCP like the 3-way, but offers better control over the colors, and the ability to use it as a secondary. Color is superior, but a bit more complex. And you need to do a lot of prep work and things need to be just right.

If you are getting started color correcting, I recommend Colorista.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:12:57 am

Thanks for the thoughts - I use FC Studio 3 but have never played with COLOR, at all...guess I'll have to get some tutorial on it... it's another $200 to spend, but I am just beginning to color correct so maybe Colorista is better for me.

Thanks

K

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:06:48 am

And after Colorista, Color.
Let MagicBullet for the end.
After learning Color, you will manage much better any coloring tool.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 19, 2010 at 9:18:35 am

You already have Color so why not try it. Make a short sequence and try the round trip.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:01:14 pm

Lately I've run into several people who are using Magic Bullet Looks who swear by it. I've never seen it or used it, but the people I've encountered who are using it tell me that they've found Color's workflow requirements too stringent or they've had problems trying to use Color in conjunction with Media Manager. I've had no issues with either.

I briefly checked out the Looks website and it seems a little cheesy to me, not like a professional grading tool. That surprises me, because the people I've encountered who are using it are pros - not professional colorists, but very talented editors.

Maybe I'm just an elitist snob, but I'd rather learn a deep program like Color and figure out how to build a look from the ground up than just slap on a preset filter and tweak it.

Thoughts? Anyone familiar with Looks?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:04:53 pm

Looks is a more in-depth tool than Colorista and not as in-depth as Color. It's a good tool, though I have found it will crash more often if you go in and start tweaking and changing the presets. So you have to be sure to always save your Project before you open up the main Looks controls. But it is a very nice tool.

Bob Sliga has now come out with Scone Looks which essentially gives you the exact same type of deal in Color. You can just apply looks to your shots in Color without having to take the time to learn the software. This is also a great way to learn the app more in depth by reverse engineering what he has created.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:17:42 pm

[walter biscardi] "Bob Sliga has now come out with Scone Looks which essentially gives you the exact same type of deal in Color. You can just apply looks to your shots in Color without having to take the time to learn the software. This is also a great way to learn the app more in depth by reverse engineering what he has created. "

I see the value in reverse engineering, but I guess I just have a personal aversion to using canned effects. I realize that presets can save people a lot of time, but the control freak in me finds them distasteful for my own work. Perhaps I've seen one too many trite, overused color treatments slapped onto poor work in a vain attempt to make it seem "edgier."

In any case, it's great that professionals like Bob are willing to share their talents with everyone in an effort to demystify and democratize the process. Perhaps extreme looks applied in bad taste will be a passing fad like lens flares and light rays...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:57:35 pm

MB is a very powerful application and to being able to fully control it you must be a really skilled colorist.
But MB Presets doesn't make miracles, and the best one won't give life to a flat picture.
A Primary CC is a must before to trying to get anything from MB.
With Color you will be able to do what MB does, and more.
But if you are able to get the setting you want in MB and drop it at once in a 90 minutes film, is great too.
Since I feel comfortable with Color I open MB very seldom.
Now I miss the old MB Editors that was all numeric.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Bryan Banks
on Feb 19, 2010 at 7:47:52 pm

I might have to email Bob and pick up Scone Looks... seems to be a pretty comprehensive package to learn from. The looks themselves almost seem like a bonus next to the video tutorials.

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 20, 2010 at 3:21:25 am

Sure with the "Scone Looks" people will end using Colors like MB Looks: Without understanding how everything works.
Rafael

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 19, 2010 at 12:46:44 pm

[Kent Beeson] "Need to do better quality color grading on my stuff than just using 3-way color corrector...so do you favor Magic Bullet or Apple's color? Which is easier to use?"

I favor Color because, well that's all it's designed to do and prior to becoming Color, it was Final Touch 2k with a price tag of $25,000. so it's a very serious color corrector and in reality, it's quite easy to use. What throws people off is the interface.

Colorista, as Shane notes is very easy to use for folks familiar with the FCP 3 Way CC as it works pretty much the same way, but with the addition of a mask control and the colors render much cleaner.

But we got seriously burned with Colorista in the past after an upgrade from Red Giant software. After Colorista was updated, it did not recognize the color grades from previous episodes and previous projects. So when we opened a project that was graded with the previous version of Colorista, we had to start all over again from scratch. After that, we stopped using it regularly and we just use it sparingly when the FCP 3 Way won't do.

So which is the best one? Color by a landslide. Which is easier right off the bat? Colorista.

Of course the tool doesn't mean anything if you don't properly understand what you're doing with color grading and color balancing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:52:34 pm

Thanks for all the good advice - I'll at least have a look into MB's LOOK - yes I have COLOR but at first approach have had trouble even properly importing a mov file to play with - I need to learn this thing from maybe Walter B's DVD, we'll see.

Thanks

K

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 19, 2010 at 4:58:33 pm

[Kent Beeson] "Thanks for all the good advice - I'll at least have a look into MB's LOOK - yes I have COLOR but at first approach have had trouble even properly importing a mov file to play with - I need to learn this thing from maybe Walter B's DVD, we'll see."

You don't import movies. Well I guess you can, but it's much easier to Send a timeline from FCP to Color, even if it's just one clip in the timeline.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:57:03 pm

We use Looks every single day and it's great, very intuative and relatively easy to use

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Feb 24, 2010 at 1:35:19 am

Tip for Magic Bullet Looks:

Use FCP 3 way CC to do a primary grade, and use Looks as a secondary.
This will save you stepping in and out of Looks to do primary, making the process a lot faster.

So first pass, primary with FCP 3 way, second pass - add look and render, third pass fine tweak and render. Don't forget to add auto-shoulder clamp luma levels (this will save you adding broadcast safe via a nest in FCP)

I assign 'Y' on keyboard to 'open' in Canvas, to sync viewer with canvas to allow instant access to CC controls.

5 series grading with it so far, loving it!

Jon

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Feb 24, 2010 at 1:59:27 am

Thanks for the info - I just bought Quick looks actually, should be here in a week, will try that (as secondary).

Thanks

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]