FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading: Final Cut 7/Studio 3 Experiences?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan White
Upgrading: Final Cut 7/Studio 3 Experiences?
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:36:23 am

Greetings. We're looking at the upgrade from Final Cut Studio 2 to 3, and I wanted to ask the community what kind of experiences they've had. I haven't heard many issues with this upgrade.

I have a Mac Pro and some laptops running Snow Leopard, connected to an XSAN 2.2 network.

Any show-stopping bugs or problems? What's your favorite new feature?

Thanks for weighing in!

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, XSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Upgrading: Final Cut 7/Studio 3 Experiences?
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:48:33 am

Why not search the forum before posting.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:55:21 am

[Michael Sacci] "Why not search the forum before posting.
"

Why didn't I think of that before writing? Damn you Michael, you're getting way too efficient...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:17:01 am

Too much time on my hand.

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:35:10 pm

I did search the forums first. The results are all over the place, deal with issues that aren't restricted to FCS3, and I wanted to hear from the community some concise analysis.

If you don't have anything constructive to add... =)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:53:42 am

Beware of simply installing over the top of FCS2. It sometimes works, but often, very often, causes numerous unintended problems that have caused untold wasted days for many users. We hear about them here daily, every day from those who ignored all of the warnings that myself and other Cow leaders have been issuing for months.

So, here are you options from best to worst:

1) Complete ground up install of the OS and FCS3
2) Use Digital Rebellion's free FCP Remover app to delete all traces of FC2 and pray for the best installing FCS3 afterward.
3) Throw all caution to the wind and install FCS3 over the top of FCS2.

No mater which of the above you choose, in all cases, be sure to create a bootable clone of your present system drive to a firewire drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper before proceeding.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rivers
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:34:44 pm

David,

I read your post about the problems people are having after installing Studio 3....I installed it on a new mac that has a processor 2x2.26 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon and the memory of 8GB 1066 MHz DDR3....When I go to edit an existing fcp project started with fcp 6 and motion 3 the whole system slows down...Mainly after I start working with multiple graphic layers created as motion templates...I'm using a HDCAM EX codec..Everything from sluggish editing before a render to extreamly long renders to extreamly long HD exports occur..Do you have any advice..

Thanks In Advance

Kevin
TV Promotions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 24, 2010 at 9:41:57 pm

[Kevin Rivers] "hen I go to edit an existing fcp project started with fcp 6 and motion 3 the whole system slows down...Mainly after I start working with multiple graphic layers created as motion templates..."

1) What type of hard drive setup or RAID are you running?

2) Are you certain that both the OS and FCS are up to date with the latest uddates installed? That is, have you done the Apple>>Software Update thing until it tells you all your software is up to date?

3) Have you run Fix Permissions on your system drive in Disk Utility?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 18, 2010 at 1:04:30 am

[Allan White] "Greetings. We're looking at the upgrade from Final Cut Studio 2 to 3, and I wanted to ask the community what kind of experiences they've had. I haven't heard many issues with this upgrade."

Same advice as usual. When upgrading from Studio 2 to Studio 3 a clean install is the best way to handle this. Erase your hard drive and start over.

If you simply do an "Upgrade" you're prone to have issues.

Studio 3 has been the most stable upgrade in the history of the App in our experience.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Feb 18, 2010 at 9:03:34 pm

Messrs. Weiss & Biscardi - thanks for your useful suggestions and "edit wisdom". I'm sure it's hard-won.

Just my take for future readers, but I think wiping the OS is a bit extreme when upgrading FCP. For workstations - such as in an edit facility - that have no other roles than editing, I can see this making sense.

My workstation & laptops are broad-spectrum content-creation machines, doing photography, web development, multimedia, presentations and more. Reinstalling the OS is simple (though time-consuming), but re-installing all the other stuff would take a very long time. I know it's "all that other stuff" that can cause instability, but unless I get two of every computer... it's gotta be there. =)

I do like the middle-of-the road solution: use the FCS "Uninstaller" and re-install from scratch. That seems like a practical balance of the two. I also run a utility called Onyx, which does a lot of OS X maintenance, before doing system upgrades. Keeping a clone of the boot drive is also solid advice that all editors must do!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:54:11 pm

[Allan White] "My workstation & laptops are broad-spectrum content-creation machines, doing photography, web development, multimedia, presentations and more. Reinstalling the OS is simple (though time-consuming), but re-installing all the other stuff would take a very long time. I know it's "all that other stuff" that can cause instability, but unless I get two of every computer... it's gotta be there. =)"

That describes all our workstations here. They are not set up only for editing, they have a wide spectrum of software installed from multiple software companies for Editing, Animation, Color Enhancement, Web Design, Print, Multimedia, Sound Design, etc...

Yes, re-installing all that stuff takes time but if you want the absolute best installation and the most efficient running system, it's really the only way to do this correctly.

In fact, each December, I usually wipe out all the systems and give them a fresh install to keep the systems running at their peak. You'd be amazed how much this improves performance.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:01:04 pm

Thanks for your insight, Walter. I'll be considering that when we hit the upgrade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]