FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sub-Frame (Video)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Livings
Sub-Frame (Video)
on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:08:48 pm

Can I Make a "Sub-Frame" to the Video in FCP ?

I use Captain Mench's Tutorial for Audio sub-frames.

http://proappstuff.com/proapptipsvideotutorials/879F6B61-CFF9-4FD1-8D43-FDF...

I know I have asked this question before, And was wondering if anyone has found a way to do it?

John

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Sub-Frame (Video)
on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:49:27 pm

What would a subframe look like? A cropped frame?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:39:14 pm

There is no such thing as SUB FRAME video...or film. A frame is the full picture you see on the screen. Anything less, as Tom pointed out, would be like half a picture. Video doesn't work that way.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Edwards
on May 27, 2010 at 11:38:23 pm

It is not quite true to say that anything less than a frame cannot be edited in video. Whilst editing systems will only allow a minimum edit duration of one frame, it is possible to effectively perform half-frame edits ie one field edits in an interlaced environment. By changing the chosen edit field in the menu settings on the record VTR (eg a DigiBetacam) from field one to field two the machine will perform an edit half way through a field. Now switch the machine back to field one, edit on the next frame and you have effectively performed a one field drop in or edit. Much simpler to do with an edit controller than FCP's edit to tape function (which I personally find less than friendly).

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 28, 2010 at 1:38:05 am

This isn't relevant to editing in a digital environment, only when editing to a tape based environment.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:49:30 pm

Hi Tom,

A sub-frame would be a part of one frame, e.g., 1 Frame =1/30 of a second (29.97) A Sub Frame would be the ability to cut the frame into say 1/100s.

Using Multi Cameras (in my case 3 or 4) Non Time Code Synced, It would be nice to move the Video clip left or right Less than One Full Frame (Just like Capt. Mench's Audio sub frame adjustments)

This would allow me to line up any number Video Clips to a more accurate position for editing.

I am able to sync up my Multi Track Recorder to any One of the Cameras Video/Audio Clips, However I can't move the rest of the Video clips to match the first video clip.

Thanks for any suggestions,

John

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:58:29 pm

Again, there is no such thing as sub frame VIDEO. Audio, yes. So the Capt's tutorial is right for that. But in video, there is nothing shorter than the frame you are looking at.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:04:40 am

Hi Shane and Tom,

I thought that was the case, Just hoping it could be done.

Thanks for your input,

John

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 18, 2010 at 1:00:54 am

In practical terms, the smallest unit in video is the frame. In audio it is the sample. There are approximately 2000 samples per frame of video (@ 25 fps) so many systems allow audio to be moved in sub frames compared to picture which can only really be moved in whole frames.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]