FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing quality of JPEG export in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Morin
Losing quality of JPEG export in FCP
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:05:43 pm

I'm trying to export a frame to JPEG out of FCP. The image in the viewer is a lot cleaner than the pixelated version of the JPEG i get. You can see it in the edges of the straight lines. It's slight, but ruins the professionalism of the photo. I've done the exporting option to best and highest quality. Exported to Jpeg ,png and.tiff, but they all come out the same. Is it the exported dimension of the jpeg in comparison to the frame?
I've also tried exporting the jpeg, then importing to photoshop and changed the aspect pixel ratio, but the options seem limited..

Any help?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Losing quality of JPEG export in FCP
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:18:23 pm

What format is the video that you are trying to export a still from?

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:26:38 pm

Here's the settings:

Sequence Preset:DV NTSC 48 KHz
Video Playback:Apple Firewire NTSC (720 x 480)
Shot in 60i and 16:9

the 60i would explain the pixelation, but the difference is that it's coming in clear on the viewer...

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:32:09 pm

[Andy Morin] "DV NTSC"

Your not loosing quality, you never had it. A still from DV NTSC footage is equivalent to about a 3 mega pixel photo at best.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:00:01 pm

It seems misleading when the viewer can produce a clearer version. Like I should be able to take that exact image i see somehow without losing quality.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:34:16 pm

Yeah, you just can't scale a DV image very much before it starts to fall apart. Some folks have luck using various plug-ins and external programs like whatchamacall it, "Genuine Fractals" or some name like that, to up-rez a video grab using complicated algorithms that synthesize extra resolution thru interpolation of what is there. Or you can try scaling it in photoshop, but the results asre only as good as the souuce material allows them to be.

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:43:04 pm

and this probably doesnt make a difference, but to be clear i was referring to the "viewer" on my laptop, in fcp pro aside from the canvas. Not the camera

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:04:46 pm

[Andy Morin] "I should be able to take that exact image i see somehow without losing quality."

There's no difference whatsoever between an exported still and your original DV video, except one more DV compression step. The nature of DV is that every export other than a self contained Quicktime at current settings hits it with another step of DV compression, which chucks out an enormous amount of color information and then interpolates ("guestimates") the color of the nearby remaining pixels.

If you want to avoid some of that, go to Sequence>>Settings and change the compressor to ProRes 422, then re-render the sequence. Now export those same stills and you will see that instead of being hit with DV compression on the way out, they will be hit with ProRes compression, and far less color info will be thrown out in the process.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:18:16 pm

You sir, are a saint! Thank you so much, I knew It had to be possible, I was totally unaware of the setting option through the Sequence tab.
Thanks again,

Andy

Return to posts index

Kelly Kendziorski
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:13:46 pm

Did you bring it into Photoshop and run it through Filter>Video>De-Interlace?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:15:39 pm

[Kelly Kendziorski] "Did you bring it into Photoshop and run it through Filter>Video>De-Interlace?"

Kelly,

Sorry, but that is an unnecessary step. When exporting a still from the timeline via Quicktime Conversion, the still is by default a deinterlaced video frame comprised of both fields, i.e. a full frame with all scan lines. You can go into options and force it to output interlaced images if you desire, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Got it???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]