FORUMS: list search recent posts

trying to set up automator action

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
trying to set up automator action
on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:13:47 pm

Hey Guys,

I have very little experience with Automator, but I'd like to use it for this time consuming task.

I have one recording that I put into a single sequence...I have like 40-50 edits breaking the clip into independent clips that I want to be in their own sequence.

I'm trying to set up an automator task to do this and I can't wrap my head around it:

The issue I'm running into is how to duplicate a sequence before I remove all the other stuff...then loading that previous sequence, then getting rid of the FIRST edit...then moving forward. I was looking for "inverse selection" in FCP, but I can't find anything like that.

Any help?

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: trying to set up automator action
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:09:01 pm

Final Cut Pro is NOT a program that Automater can control.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:42:53 pm

Hi Jason,

Automator will work with FCP as long as a keyboard shortcut exists for each stage of the workflow.
In Automator you need to record yourself doing the steps once or twice, then add the 'Loop' action at the end and tell it how many times to repeat.

If I understand correctly, you want to create new sequences from each clip in your timeline.
These are the actions you need to record yourself performing with a few prerequisites:

In you 'Master' timeline ensure the auto select buttons are switched on for each track and the playhead is at the start of your timeline.

1. X (mark clip)
2. CMD+C (copy in to out)
3. CMD+4 (select Browser window)
4. CMD+N (new sequence)
5. Press Return TWICE (confirm name of sequence and open sequence)
6. CMD+V (paste)
7. CTRL+W (close sequence)
8. OPTION+X (clear in & out)
9. DOWN ARROW (jump to next edit point)

Record those actions and then loop them and in theory it should work. The only thing it won't do is name your sequences properly, but that can be done manually.

It's worth noting as well that there is a piece of software called Butler that you can program the same sequence of steps in with a bit more control, then assign that process to a single keyboard button. I use Butler to create shortcuts for things I often do in FCP that normally require multiple keystrokes. I'm not sure if you can program it to loop automatically however.

Hopefully there's a solution in there for you anyway.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:05:53 pm

Thanks so much Alex, this did work for me. I didn't set up the loop, because after each time, I manually changed the name. I just used automator to do the create new seq...copy-paste.

I had butler on my machine, but couldn't get it to work for me...I only played with it for a couple weeks...maybe I should give it another try.

I was overcomplicating it...trying to think of how to isolate the content I wanted inside the sequence...then duplicating that sequence...when your idea of just copying and pasting out what I wanted was the cleanest way.

Nice job!

Thanks again!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:30:05 pm

No problem. Where there's a shortcut there's a way...

[Jason Brown] "I had butler on my machine, but couldn't get it to work for me...I only played with it for a couple weeks...maybe I should give it another try."

Butler looks fairly complicated but I think once you get your head around the basics and what you can achieve it's fairly straightforward to work out how to get there.
What I like about it is the option to have it only affect specified software. Essentially any FCP shortcut you think should exist now does because you can program it into Butler.
Remember to make sure that Butler opens as one of your Login Items (user account preferences) otherwise all the shortcuts you programmed suddenly won't appear to be there after you reboot.

Best of luck,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

avi sliman
on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:20:49 am

hey there..
i tried as well to get my head around on how to use automator in order to do few actions in final cut.
but with no real success.
i hope there is a way of doing it.

i have some material imported to my computer from a server.
it is a 7 hours long .avi movie
which i need a 20 minutes sample of it to send back to the client on a daily base.
so i wanted the .avi to be imported to final cut/open new project/new-seq/ and than take a 20 minutes sample of the material (in total random manner)/
export it to my desktop and e mail it to the client.

many thanks
avis144

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]