FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Film (HD) Won't Play on Windows QT

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Petty
Final Film (HD) Won't Play on Windows QT
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:22:00 pm

I just finished a little 2 minute Promo Film for my client. It was shot and cut in XDCAM EX 1080P30. One of the versions they wanted was the finished film in full 1080P for them to show on their laptops to their customers. I kicked out a QT Movie from the timeline, saved it as a standard QT Movie file (not the FCP "version" that you get from the timeline) at about 650 Megs, threw it on a DVD and sent it over to the client...and moved on to the next project.

They just called and said it would not play on their Windows machines (all have the latest version of QT for WIndows), so I ran over to take a look. The QT window comes up at full 1080P size...the soundtrack plays...but no picture. BTW it plays fine on all of my laptop, tower and iMac Macs!

Can somebody help explain why the film won't play. Do I need to do something to dumb it down or down convert it to play on Windows. Do I need to export it differently? Not quite sure.

Also I tried to export it to a wmv file just for fun and QT Pro (with Flip for Mac) would not do it. I assume the format has something to do with that.

I've only been shooting/cutting in HD for 18 months or so...Never run up against this before.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Film (HD) Won't Play on Windows QT
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:23:46 pm

#48 - Cannot view DVCPRO HD or HDV or ProRes on my computer.

Shane's Stock Answer #48 - Cannot view DVCPRO HD, HDV or ProRes QT files on your computer.

The DVCPRO HD, HDV and ProRes codecs only comes with FCP. If your computer does not have FCP installed, it cannot view these quicktime files. It doesn't matter if it is a Mac or PC, without FCP installed, you cannot view these files.

If you need to view ProRes material, you can download the ProRes decoder (mac and windows compatible) for ProRes

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_W....

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_M...

If your footage was captured as DVCRO HD you can buy the Calibrated DVCPRO HD decoder:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QDVCProHD.asp

HDV, XDCAM? Calibrated has you covered too:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

If you have MXF files from a P2 camera and you need to view the footage on a computer without FCP, you can download P2CMS from Panasonic:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/p2-hd/downloads-and-updates.asp

Or you need the other party to compress the footage into a format your computer can play, like H.264.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:41:55 pm

[Mike Petty] "Do I need to do something to dumb it down or down convert it to play on Windows. Do I need to export it differently?"

Shane tells you why it won't play, and even has a helpful solution.

You can also use Compressor to convert the ProRes HD file into mp4. Or H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:51:47 pm

[Dave LaRonde] You can also use Compressor to convert the ProRes HD file into mp4. Or H.264.

If you make an mp4, change the file extension to .mpg. Some MS programs don't seem to know .mp4 is the same thing.

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:02:39 pm

Thanks guys...doesn't seem logical to cook that beautiful footage into an mp4...but it's cooking in Compressor right now. We shall see.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:06:56 pm

We didn't even talk about the possibilities of using Flip4Mac ($150 for HD-capable) to compress in a variety of windows-friendly codecs, y'know....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:38:49 pm

I actually did decide to pop for the Flip for Mac Upgrade...it was only $80 from what I had. Small price for making my clients in the WIndows world happy.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:53:58 pm

[Mike Petty] "Small price for making my clients in the WIndows world happy."

Go crazy! After all they only have 90% market share.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:18:46 am

Let me ask you this, Mike. Do the movie trailers at Apple's website look bad? I don't think so at all. As a matter fact, the quality is stunning. This why I encode everything into H.264 only now. Somtimes the files are at full res but most are slightly smaller. H.264 is incredible.

Give it a serious look before spending lots of money on a computer specific format.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:33:32 am

Wayne, I do my best to make sure all my clients can read H264 files. For years I have recommended to them to download VLC media player if they don't already have quicktime.

But there are still heaps of people who just have Windows Media player and get confused when it asks them to download a codec. For that reason, if a file has to be made available to the widest audience, a WMV version plus an H264 version should be made available.

Lately I have discovered Miro - an amazingly good free media player that plays full screen HD mpeg/ H264 files much more smoothly than quicktime on windows. It also has a feature that connects you to legal free content from NASA and hi def wildlife & underwater footage. It is cross platform so although you don't need it on the Mac, it is worth considering if you are coaching clients with Linux & Windows.

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:14:25 pm

I concur that those trailers are excellent...can you give me/us some insight into your H.264 workflow?

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:55:31 pm

OK kids here's an update...

I cooked the file in compressor as an mp4 ( .mpg) it looked pretty good. I just got back from the client and it played fine in QT but would not play in Windows Media Player! And as has been so correctly pointed out...90% of the world will watch it that way!

The flip side is I did do the upgrade for fip4mac HD and ran it through that and the result was horrible. I messed with all sorts of setting and there results were wholly unacceptable.

So I am back to square one it seems...Any ideas???

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:28:17 pm

[Mike Petty] "So I am back to square one it seems...Any ideas???"

Thus the problem we all face...

Do we make it outputted video gorgeous or do we make it compatible to all?

This is the question I ALWAYS ask my clients, do you want quality or compatibility? Almost all of the time, the client picks quality over compatibility. At this point, I show them how to download and install Quicktime and if they want a file on a CD, then I also give them a Quicktime install file.

Also, we have a private client preview site that I include a link for QuickTime at Apple's website for them to install if their install is not up to snuff.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:55:49 pm

Concur...but the problem is they are going to be giving the file to their customers...so I have hundreds of people who need to play this rascal. I keep recommending to just push them to the web but they are old school (you know - 2002) so this is what I have to do.

How do I get a 1080P30 File converted to play on Windows Media Player on crappy office computers???

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:09:59 pm

Well, you don't make it 1920x1080, that's for sure.

A crappy old office computer running an old version of Windows may only have a 1024x768 monitor in the first place. Plus a slow hard drive. Plus an old version of Windows Media Player.

See where this is heading? If you have to covert the file to the lowest common denominator, it will look like garbage. It's unavoidable.

You might be better off making a 16x9 DVD, and let 'em use their DVD players.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:22:04 pm

If you going to web, you can make a smaller H.264 QuickTime file and change the .mov extension to .flv and you've got a Flash video file. This really works well. If they have a old Adobe Flash file, it will upgrade for them automatically by ask them to upgrade.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:44:54 pm

I'm not going to the web - They already have the spot up on Vimeo/YouTube - They want a file they can carry around on a thumb drive and transfer onto customer computers.

Why they want to do this mystifies me but I am not inclined to argue with their sales strategy,

I am currently trying a bunch of different .wmv presets in Flip4Mac StudioHD. In the first couple of tests I can live with the lower picture quality but the film stutters to the point of being unwatchable. Anybody have any magic presets for Flip4Mac HD Studion that might work?

I am also going to take another run at creating an MP4 file. I tried it with the file chaged to .mpg (and that would not play on WMP) now I'll try it in compressor and leave it at MP4 and see what happens.

Is there and H.264 setting that will play in Windows media player?

Thanks for all of the input BTW...I'm sure all of us, including me, have other stuff to do.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:27:04 pm

Ok... I'm sorry that I misunderstood what you were doing. In that case, you only options that I've used were to create your videos in mpeg2 or mpeg1 files. You'll loose some quality and they will be letterboxed, but you can play these anywhere.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:23:21 pm

Actually think I have it whipped. I took the original file from FCP into Compressor and cooked it as a QT H.264 at 1280x720. Then I exported that from QT as a .wmv file using Flip4Mac HD Studio. Quality is excellent and it played fine on my client's crummy office computer. A new workflow is born.

Thanks for all of the thoughts guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]