FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using BATCH-EXPORT on subclips vs MM to create independent media files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
Using BATCH-EXPORT on subclips vs MM to create independent media files
on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:50:58 pm

I've been capturing full HDV tapes with the DV Start/Stop Detection turned on and everything has worked just fine - until now. I'm now encountering a problem w FCP "Searching for Media" on roughly 25% of my clips DURING capture, and in the process, losing about 5 seconds at the start of the clip. I've been having lots of problems w my G5 over the last couple months and it's been acting quite slow and I imagine this is related to that.

So... after a full 2 days trying to get Media Manager to create independent media files from my subclips (after capturing a twenty minute chunk whole, then breaking it down), following the FCP manual volume II pg 42 to a tee... I concur w many others on this site that Media Manager sucks! No matter what I did, it would not produce new files out of my subclips and instead kept giving me the same error: "Reconnect Media Failed. The clip such-and-such was unable to be reconnected to the trimmed file due to a mismatch of the media present in the file... yada yada." Yes, I shortened the end of the first subclip by a couple frames, and I also had another subclip to delete, and I tried going straight from the bin, then from the timeline, then after making all clips independent in the timeline... nothing!

Then I discovered BATCH EXPORT.

Using it, I exported my HDV subclips using Quicktime Movie, Self-Contained, HDV 30, audio and video. It processed 20 minutes of subclips in just a few minutes so I'm fairly comfortable that no real 'processing' occurred.

Can someone verify for me though that this is a safe procedure and that I am not re-processing HDV files with more HDV nonsense? Before continuing, I would just like to know for sure that Batch Export produces exactly the same result with subclips then if I were to simply capture one clip at a time.

Thanks a bunch,

Chris

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Using BATCH-EXPORT on subclips vs MM to create independent media files
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:03:44 pm

[Christopher McDonell] "Can someone verify for me though that this is a safe procedure and that I am not re-processing HDV files with more HDV nonsense? Before continuing, I would just like to know for sure that Batch Export produces exactly the same result with subclips then if I were to simply capture one clip at a time. "

From your post, I assume that you are using some flavor of FCP, like 5.1.2... In that case, I would agree that MM does have many issues. Its better in FCP 7, but I still don't fully trust it.

If your outputting HDV files in a mater of minutes, then your answer would be that your workflow is safe. I say this because HDV is a seriously render intensive codec and if you were re-processing anything, you'd be waiting for hours to re-compress.

To be perfectly honest... There's not many workflows that are bad, just some are more efficient than others. The only bad ones in my opinion would be those who take the codec down to a lower quality for offline editing - not necessary.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]