FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Jones
Exporting Audio
on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:38:39 pm

I am working in Final Cut and am looking to export the finished audio, so that it references the original files names. This is so the project can be linked to the original files.

From my basic understanding, omfi's do not carry this metadata. Is there another way, apart from using an edl, such as a Final Cut version of an Avid's aaf.

thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Exporting Audio
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:42:51 pm

An OMFI will carry the clip name. If that differs from the file name then yes, you lose the connection. But an OMFI embeds the audio so it will not link to the original media. Why specifically do you want this?

Automatic Duck does a more sophisticated export of a FCP timeline and may contain that metadata when transferring to Pro Tools. Fairlight now imports FCP XML files directly and they link automatically to the original files, providing the media is network shared. Fairlights run on a WinXP platform so sharing Mac connected drives is a bit complicated.

If you run MacDrive on the Win XP machine you should be able to connect an external Mac formatted drive with the original files on it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Jones
on Feb 16, 2010 at 10:07:54 pm

I am working on a file based drama project. I am given a sound mix to edit with. The people dubbing the project have access to all the original audio files / separate tracks. To link the tracks to the original audio files, they need the metadata.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 16, 2010 at 10:15:58 pm

I am not sure if I understand your workflow Ken. Are you recutting after a sound mix?

Also what audio system are the mix studio working on. I am guessing that they need to reconform a finished mixed project with your recut but can you clarify this a bit more please.

Return to posts index

Kevin Jones
on Feb 16, 2010 at 10:35:18 pm

Sorry for confusion.

The video files I am given have a guide audio mix on them. For example three radio mics mixed together. On a separate file system, the three separate radio mic tracks are put on three separate files.

I edit with the guide track... but for more control of the audio during the sound-mix they need access to all the audio files and need to link them up. They are using pro-tools.

Hope this makes sense.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 16, 2010 at 10:45:35 pm

So what you export is not the same files they need to link to. Neither OMF, XML or AAF are much use. What you need is a way of linking multiple files to your edit guide.

Hate to say it Ken, but I would be using EDLs because I can manipulate them to map one file to the multi tracks that were used to make your mixdown.

Critical to everything is to make sure the audio files have matching timecode AND reel numbers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]