FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Quicktime Conversion - WMV Output Errors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Using Quicktime Conversion - WMV Output Errors
on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:23:43 am

I hope this oddity rings a bell for someone to help me trouble shoot.

I can export a timeline (1 min commercial spot) using any selection from the "Using Quicktime Conversion" selection and output a stand alone piece fine, EXCEPT for WMV format. Regardless of the project and/or timeline I test with, the result is only a partial output file. It plays back in stand alone mode just fine, but ends before the end of the timeline piece. Different projects, different timelines, different sequence settings. A mystery.

A possible additional clue: If I output a QT file (which records the full timeline piece), then open QT and Export to WMV, IT ALSO cuts off the end of the video. It's almost like I have a marker or outpoint set in the timeline, but do not. And why the same result with totally different opened projects?

I realize there are a ton of unknown variables here, but does anything jump out at anyone right away as a possible culprit to this?

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
Re: Using Quicktime Conversion - WMV Output Errors
on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:32:12 am

Here's one more thing I just discovered while testing. ALL videos are being cut off at :30 seconds in.

By the way, I'm on Mac with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:57:04 am

This gets asked all the time. Try searching this forum with these words: wmv 30 seconds

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:26:48 am

Hey, Ken. Thanks for the heads up and direction. Helpful and much appreciated.

Looks like it is the Flip4Mac free version limiting my output. Strange that I've got to purchase a third party software to fulfill a codec option listed in the FC menu. But maybe that option is only there because I HAVE Flip4Mac installed. Hmmm. Well, the client needs WMV. I need to deliver, so I need to purchase!

Thanks again.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 16, 2010 at 2:07:25 pm

[Mark Fanjoy] "Looks like it is the Flip4Mac free version limiting my output."

There is no "free" version, there's only a free demo for the paid versions.

[Mark Fanjoy] "Strange that I've got to purchase a third party software to fulfill a codec option listed in the FC menu. But maybe that option is only there because I HAVE Flip4Mac installed."

Correct. WMV becomes an option only after Fip4Mac is installed.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Apr 9, 2010 at 4:10:37 pm

Here's a question for ya. I just did a fresh install of my OSX, and cloned my old stuff, SO I do have it, but not sure what to transfer over........and now I'm in the same situation with the 30 second only problem, actually, it's only 15 seconds on a 30 second commercial. The thing is, before on my old system I had it working fine, and was able to always convert to wmv's. That makes me wonder, did I at one time pay for Flip4Mac? OR did I stumble across something else to make exporting of wmv's work? yes, I know, I should remember if I had paid for it! But is there really no other way to do wmv's out of fcp?

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Apr 10, 2010 at 12:48:18 am

Lisa, someone else may know more, but my solution came in this thread. As soon as I installed the full version of Flip4Mac, WA-LAA. Done. I have WMV conversion at my fingertips.

It was an easy solution. The option pops right up there in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]