FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accidentally edited in HDV1080i setting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynne Margulies
Accidentally edited in HDV1080i setting
on Feb 14, 2010 at 3:27:09 am

I don't know how this happened, because the first sequence in my project is correct. But the second sequence in the same project somehow changed itself to the HDV1080i PAL setting. (I WAS having a compatibility problem using FCP 6 with Snow Leopard, or perhaps it read some footage weirdly). I've tried changing the sequence settings back to 4:3 (which is what the original footage is), but the image then get gigantic, or too small, nothing fits the frame. I've tried every setting available, but nothing works. I'm running a test right now converting the footage to NTSC in compressor, but does anyone have a better solution for this?

Lynne

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Accidentally edited in HDV1080i setting
on Feb 14, 2010 at 6:01:29 am

Hi Lynne,
You haven't say what kind of footage you have and how you intend to output.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Lynne Margulies
on Feb 14, 2010 at 6:26:00 am

Hi Raphael, I guess that info would be helpful! This is old 8-bit NTSC video, captured in FCP from both 3/4" and 1/2" sources, very rare old stuff. The final product is a commercial dvd (which I am authoring with DVDSP) so I need it to look as good as it can, and granted, it doesn't look so great anyway because it's so old.

I did a test PAL to NTSC compressor export, and it looked okay. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lynne

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 14, 2010 at 8:38:53 am

OK.
NTSC 4x3.
But you want to do a PAL DVD, don't you?
If so you can make the standard conversion in Compressor.
It takes time but is good. You may also try MPGstreamclip.
You can also edit in NTSC and do the NTSC>PAL in the end although transitions and graphics probably wont look so well.
A very good solution is the Nattress Standard Conversion plugins.
A classic. You can try it for free.
The fast way is to drop the NTSC footage in a PAL sequence. Some footage will play OK. Some don't.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Lynne Margulies
on Feb 14, 2010 at 10:42:14 pm

Thank you Raphael,

Actually, the NTSC got edited accidentally as PAL footage and I need to get it back to NTSC. I'm converting it with compressor right now, only 4 more hours to go of 20. Sounds like that was the way to go, according to your post.

Lynne

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jason Porthouse
on Feb 15, 2010 at 2:19:10 pm

Lynn,

Let me see if I understand you...

You've got footage that's SD, 4:3, NTSC. You've already edited some in a sequence and that's fine. But the second sequence has been set to HDV1080i50 - and now you can't change it, yes?

If so , converting to NTSC is simply not needed...

If you place SD footage in an HD timeline FCP will scale it to fit. If you then change the timeline (sequence) settings to SD 4:3 you'll see (as it appears you have) that the footage is now too big - this is because the scaling FCP applies to the footage is now wrong for the sequence and still on the clips. Soooo.... I'd be inclined to duplicate the offending sequence, change settings to the correct format and aspect ratio, then select all clips (lasso them or CMD-A) and right click - go to 'remove attributes'. You'll get a dialogue with various options - check the boxes for 'Basic Motion' and 'Distort'. This should remove the enlargement.

HTH

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

Lynne Margulies
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:21:20 pm

Thank you very much Jason, I'll give that a shot. I already did a PAL to NTSC conversion using Compressor, but I'm going to try your instructions with the original sequence, as I think the quality will be better going with the original.

Lynne

Return to posts index

Lynne Margulies
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:33:04 pm

Hi Jason, it worked! Thanks again!

Lynne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]