FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reel Numbers Disappear when FCP is reopened

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Chan
Reel Numbers Disappear when FCP is reopened
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:14:20 pm

Hi,
I was brought in to wrap up a doc started by another editor, who neglected to import most of the files with reel numbers(!)
So, I went through and added hundreds of reel numbers, each time FCP prompted with the message that the original media file was being altered, so far so good.
The next day when FCP opened, most, but not all of the reel numbers were gone. I trashed prefs, restarted, ran disk utility on all my drives, and they are still gone.
More reel numbers are missing in the later reels, but there is no clear pattern. I thought it might be a buggy drive, but some files that retained their reel numbers are in the same folder on the same drive as ones that lost their reel numbers. The QT files that retained reel numbers say that they were modified yesterday, the ones that lost their reel numbers were modified months ago. So somehow the QT files loose the altered metadata. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks very much.

2x3 Ghz Quad, 4GB 667 MHz, OS 10.5.8 FCP 6.0.2

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: Reel Numbers Disappear when FCP is reopened
on Feb 12, 2010 at 10:49:34 pm

Hi Erin, it sounds like there is a problem with the write permissions on some files on the drive, which prevents FCP from modifying the metadata. A quick possible fix is to select your media drive in the finder, and open the "get info" window.

Turn on the "ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox and then see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I may have some other solutions, but let us know if this works first.
Good luck!

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Erin Chan
Re: Reel Numbers Disappear when FCP is reopened
on Feb 12, 2010 at 10:56:25 pm

Many thanks. I looked at all my drives and they all had "Ignore ownership on this volume" checked. I've tried adding reel numbers again, then restarting the computer, and again some of them "stick" and some disappear, without relationship to which drive they are on. Any further advice would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: l Numbers Disappear when FCP is reopened
on Feb 13, 2010 at 12:14:26 am

How did those files get captured?

Return to posts index

Erin Chan
on Feb 13, 2010 at 12:29:09 am

Hi,
Unfortunately, I'm starting on this project after it has been worked on for 4 years by numerous editors and assistants, and I don't know details of how it was captured. A lot of it's preview archival from getty and other archival/stock houses and was brought in from DVDs of quicktime files. Some was captured from digibeta, even a few miniDV tapes. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 13, 2010 at 2:20:21 pm

I'm with Matt.
The Reel info lives in the QT, not in the project.
If FCP cannot change them, it's either FCP or a permissions thing.
It's easy enough to check if the operation has worked, as you have found out, the modify date of the clip changes.

To find out if it's FCP or something else, you could run my QT change application to change / add Reelnames on clips.
Download from here (it's free / donationware)
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

If this also does not stick, it's definitely a permissions problem.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]