FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing RED anamorphic 2.35:1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Gaynor
importing RED anamorphic 2.35:1
on Feb 12, 2010 at 6:37:53 pm

Hi, I just shot a film on RED in anamorphic 2.35:1
The footage is squeezed to 4:3 automatically, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to import the footage and unsqueeze it to 2.35:1- please help! thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: importing RED anamorphic 2.35:1
on Feb 12, 2010 at 8:56:01 pm

How are you importing the footage? What codec and frame size are you converting to?

I have just finished a short short on RED with that aspect and the editor used the RED import tools and made 2K files with the correct aspect so it is possible.

Return to posts index

Bryan Gaynor
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:00:50 pm

I'm importing through FCP log & transfer- 2816x2304 ProRes422(HQ)

I made a 2048x817 sequence, dragged in one of the shots, scaled it down to 73, made the aspect ratio -100, and it looks right, but I'm worried it's the wrong way to do something like this. Should I be using RED software to import?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 12, 2010 at 8:57:33 pm

[Bryan Gaynor] "please help! thanks."

since you give no explanation of how you are working, even I cannot be much help.

how are you importing the footage, FCP does not understand anamorphic very well, what is your output?

which anamorphic lenses hawk or primo's AND are you sure you shot 2:35?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Bryan Gaynor
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:10:08 pm

My apologies for not being detailed on my process- As I just posted, I'm importing through FCP log & transfer- 2816x2304 ProRes422(HQ). We shot on primo's. Definitely shot 2.35-
You asked about output- probably HD CAM eventually, I guess. I haven't really gotten that far. The piece is intended to be part of a TV Show on HBO.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bryan Gaynor
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:19:49 pm

I'm importing through FCP log & transfer- 2816x2304 ProRes422(HQ)
Shot Primo's- definitely 2.35
Output: HD CAM eventually i would assume. It's for an HBO show.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:50:10 pm

[Bryan Gaynor] "I'm importing through FCP log & transfer- 2816x2304 ProRes422(HQ) "

FCP does not understand conventional Anamorphic functionality.

but first - that frame size is technically beyond the current max size for ProRes (max is 2048x1566 {2K ana}) within FCP.

I agree with Michael, use the RED tools to properly conform to the 1920x1080 or 2K frame that you will deliver (FYI HBO wants SR not HDCam)

For the record Hawk makes both 2x and 1.3 anamorphics ( the 1.3 records 2:35when using 16x9 sensor area capture and 16x9 when using a square sensor area to capture) hence the question.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

John Harris
Re:Importing anamorphic 2.35:1 to FCP
on Jul 16, 2010 at 6:51:19 pm

I am shooting anamorphic 1.5 squeeze on a 5D to obtain 2:35 (or thereabouts)with FCP. How to I import properly into FCP without having to use distort to pull it into a 16x9 frame. I want a 2:35:1 frame and don't want to lose resolution.
Thanks

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Re:Importing anamorphic 2.35:1 to FCP
on Jul 17, 2010 at 1:33:10 pm

[John Harris] "I am shooting anamorphic 1.5 squeeze on a 5D to obtain 2:35"

john, I have never heard of a 1.5 squeeze lens- are you talking about the 1.3 Hawks" that give 2.35 when shooting on a 16x9 imager?

for the record FCP does not understand rasters other than the standards of 4:3 and 16x9 for realtime playback from the timeline. So you will need to edit in squeeze mode to get the most out of what you shot.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

John Harris
Re: Re:Importing anamorphic 2.35:1 to FCP
on Jul 17, 2010 at 2:38:09 pm

I am using a Bolex Moeller anamorphot 1.5 squeeze on a Nikon 90mm and also have a Iscorama 54 both are 1.5 squeeze. Yes I don't mind editing with playback via distort which I haven't figured out is a -33.33 or -50. It's a wonderful cinema look. And then leave it squeezed for output. I am just concerned this isn't the right way to go about 2:35 without costing a fortune and it getting crazy. I know there is just cropping..however anamorphics have a different look. I have also purchased a Lomo 80 anamorphic which I wanted to give a dedicated 5D with a PL mount. I do nature stuff and am finishing up a piece I've been doing for 2 years for blu-ray release here regionally on the Monterey Peninsula. The next project is scripted with a good cast and wanted the 2:35 look without going to 35mm film. Thanks for your input.

John Harris

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:30:14 pm

Neither your import ratio or your sequence settings are right. The editor I worked with used the RED tools and he was able to create a letterbox at correct aspect within a 2k 16:9 ProRes4444 file.

We then used standard 2k sequence settings for a final output as a letterboxed HDCam. The file settings and sequence settings should match but as Gary has asked, what is you final output?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:33:35 pm

If the final output is HDCam for broadcast, then you should consider letterboxing in a 16:9 file.

1920 x 1080 is the easiest to work with. I have Kona3 so can work with 2K files but monitor and output to HDCam as 1920 x 1080.

Return to posts index

Bryan Gaynor
on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:20:10 pm

Ok, so I downloaded REDCINE (I have NO idea how to use this program), dragged all my footage into Bin 1, double clicked on one of the clips, clicked Anamorphic in one of the pull down menus- it looks right. Now, how the heck do I export all my footage with the correct settings?

Return to posts index

Bryan Gaynor
on Feb 13, 2010 at 5:12:14 pm

I'm still struggling with this and I have to show footage to a client this weekend- Should I be using REDCINE? Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Return to posts index

Bryan Gaynor
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:44:56 pm

Bear with me- I've worked with RED footage quite a bit, but have never shot anamorphic, and have never used RED Tools. What is RED Tools? Are you talking about RED Alert! or REDCine? I can't find anything called RED Tools. How do I make a 2k Prores4444 file? I know I need 1920x1080 file, but how do I get that? How exactly do I get my footage in the right aspect ratio in the right file?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 13, 2010 at 10:02:53 pm

Bryan, the RED tool you need is called RED Rushes. You select the files you need to import and then you have various selections on what quicktime codec format to create and there are presets for standard frame sizes.

In this case I would recommend converting to ProRes 1920 x 1080. Under Render, select Color Space to REC709 and the same for Gamma. In Resize select scale and the 1920 x 1080 preset with fit width. In Output, select quicktime ProRes.

Do a test on one file and drop that into an FCP sequence that matches your quicktime settings. It should look right with letterboxed top/ bottom and correct width and not need rendering in the timeline. I couldn't see anything specifically for anamorphic in the settings so there may still be some distort values you will need to use in FCP.

Again, it is important to study the documentation on FCP workflows that RED have on their site. I learned all that I have passed on to you by studying those docs and testing on one project.

Return to posts index

Sridhar Reddy
on May 30, 2010 at 7:13:02 pm

Hello,

I've been having the same issues as Bryan. Just shot a film in 4k Anamorphic (Elite Primes) and trying to convert the files on a MacBookPro 2.66GHz. All info are on 2TB G-Raid drives.

Tried using REDRushes but for some reason it only gives me the audio only, I'm not able to generate a picture. My settings:

Render:

Debayer: Half-res (Standard)
Look Source: Camera
Color Space: Look Source
Gamma Space: Look Source

Resize:

Scale is selected at 1920 x 1080
Fit/ Stretch: FitWidth 2x

Output:

Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)

With all of this I'm unable to generate an image, only audio in the converted files. I've gone to the RED site and downloaded the QT codec and it doesn't seem to do anything. Tried using REDCINE-X and while it generates an image and audio, the quality is extremely poor, with some kind of 'ghosting' image.

This is immensely frustrating, as RED seems to have little available in terms of workflow advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ravi Kiran
on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:37:57 pm

I used the same settings (1920x1080, Fit Width 2X) in Clipfinder for anamorphic footage and it worked like a charm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]