FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion causes FCP to crash

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Casey
Motion causes FCP to crash
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:16:11 pm

Hello,
Yesterday I updated Final Cut Studio with the upgrade purchased from Apple so that I am running Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4 etc.

Since the upgrade I have found that Final Cut seems to /crash each time I use it in conjunction with Motion.
If I send a video clip from the timeline to a Motion Project, make changes in Motion and then switch back into Final Cut, the spinning beachball/pinwheel appears and will not stop. All other functions of the Mac cease to work, nor will Force Quit work. The only way to stop this process is to hold down the power button.
I have also tried making the motion projects independently of FCP then closing Motion, opening FCP and importing the Motion file as an Asset. When trying to load this asset in the Source monitor the same problem occurs.

Im running a Mac Pro with Leopard 10.5.8, I have 2x 3ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon processors, 4gb 667 Mhz DDR2 FB DIMM memory and plenty of free HD space.
I have tried trashing preferences and rebuilding disk permissions but neither have worked. I cannot find any evidence of a crash in the Console etc; the Mac acts as if nothing has happened prior to the crash/powering down.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Thanks
KC

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion causes FCP to crash
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:34:20 pm

This should not be the case. I hope this article will be of some help. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1885

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:43:59 pm

Did you do a clean install?

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Casey
on Feb 15, 2010 at 9:17:59 am

Hey,
First of all thanks to both of you for the responses :)

Unfortunately I didn't do a clean install as I was pressed for time. I was kind of hoping that a complete clean re-install would be a last resort but I'm now wondering whether it's my only option...

Return to posts index

Angela Kendall
on Jun 1, 2010 at 12:41:41 am

Hi there. I found this thread via a google search and I am very interested in finding out what the solution was. The problem that you described is identical to the one Im facing right now. I've been searching and trying all sorts of things and would love it if you had could share how you were able to overcome this rather frustrating problem.

Many thanks.
Angela

Return to posts index

Kevin Casey
on Jun 1, 2010 at 8:38:04 am

Hi Angela,
I eventually I did find a solution to this, although I'm not sure whether it's the only solution.

The problem disappeared when I upgraded the OS to Snow Leopard. I didn't do a clean install of the OS or anything; just put the Snow Leopard discs in and installed it over the old OS (bad practice I know). Once my Mac was running Snow Leopard I did a fresh install of Final Cut Studio (making sure I'd backed up things like keyboard preferences etc to avoid having to re-do them all over again), and then opened up the Final Cut/Motion projects again. This time there were no crashes and everything's been running smoothly since.

I wonder whether Final Cut Pro only works fully with Snow Leopard? I'm pretty sure the system requirements state that it'll work on Leopard but I can't quite remember now.

I think since I opened this thread there may have been a few software updates to FCP which may be worth installing in case they include a fix?

Hope that's of some help!

Thanks,
Kev

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]