FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just edited with XDcam for 1st time and have some issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roli Rivelino
Just edited with XDcam for 1st time and have some issues
on Feb 12, 2010 at 12:44:18 pm

My workflow:

Ingest XDCAM media via new plugin xd capture > store media in capture on 2nd drive and leave the other folder locations as default > ingest XD footage and create edit > prepare timeline and send to color > send back to FCP (Color asks if I want to convert to the Quicktime export ccdec and I say yes) > send clip to motion; perform stabilising effect > send back to FCP (graded sequence won't play properly at this point)> send to compressor > export as H.264 1920x1080 25fps key frame every 30s data rate 5000kbps optimise for streaming.

It's my first time editing with this type of footage and I wonder if anyone can help as I was wondering what was normal and what wasn't.

Firstly; according to FCP some of the footage was 1920x1080 and some 1280x720, I'm assuming it was shot this way and was nothing to do with me; am I right?

Secondly; When I sent back to Color, I got asked if I wanted to change to the export Quicktime codec for FCP, and I said yes; was this a correct thing to do?

Thirdly; When I got the sequence back into FCP it wouldn't play properly on the timeline (option P does work though), I assumed it was because I still had loads of things open, various timeliines, color, motion etc. I closed all of these, but to no avail and the same goes for this morning it just judders over particular clips with heavy color effects.

Is this simply a case of not enough power or something else?

Lastly: When I take clips over to other timelines in prep for round tripping, I seem to get a scaling issue on the clips, whereby they don't seem in the same scale on screen, but in the motion tab the scale stills says 150.

I was fumbling a bit when setting sequence settings for this project, so could someone tell me what my sequence settings should be when I have mixed XD footage such as this please?

Hope I've been clear, many thanks.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Just edited with XDcam for 1st time and have some issues
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:00:01 pm

[Roli Rivelino] " if I want to convert to the Quicktime export ccdec and I say yes) > send clip to motion; perform stabilising effect > send back to FCP (graded sequence won't play properly at this point)>"
Do you have the Color Renders in your main HD?

[Roli Rivelino] "export as H.264 1920x1080 25fps key frame every 30s "
That's crazy.
Think that the MPEG-2 sets the a K-frame every 12 frames. Let that always in Auto unless you know well what are you doing.

[Roli Rivelino] "Firstly; according to FCP some of the footage was 1920x1080 and some 1280x720, I'm assuming it was shot this way and was nothing to do with me; am I right? "
You can trust what you see in the Browser.

[Roli Rivelino] "astly: When I take clips over to other timelines in prep for round tripping, I seem to get a scaling issue on the clips, whereby they don't seem in the same scale on screen, but in the motion tab the scale stills says 150. "
This must be the 720 footage.
You just need to decide if you want to finish at 1080 or 720.
Before rendering/exporting set "High Precision" and if you need to export a self-contained movie, do it to Prores.
The rest of the workflow, I think is OK.
Rafael

[Roli Rivelino] "I was fumbling a bit when setting sequence settings for this project, so could someone tell me what my sequence settings should be when I have mixed XD footage such as this please? "

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:56:13 pm

Hi Rafael, thanks for answering just a couple of quick points

Rafael: Do you have the Color Renders in your main HD?

I'm not sure, are they supposed to be? and How do I check that?

Rafael: "export as H.264 1920x1080 25fps key frame every 30s "
That's crazy.
Think that the MPEG-2 sets the a K-frame every 12 frames. Let that always in Auto unless you know well what are you doing.

You're right I have no idea what I'm doing on this front :-)

Rafael: You just need to decide if you want to finish at 1080 or 720.
Before rendering/exporting set "High Precision" and if you need to export a self-contained movie, do it to Prores

How do I set high precision?
I think I do export self-containeds to prores by default, but how do I check?

Also is this mix of footage a common thing with the XD was it an artistic decision or just a mistake do you think?

many thanks

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:03:28 pm

Hi Roli,
By default Color save the render files in Documents/Color Documents.
This, together with what you put on top in FC, may produce the dropped frames.

About the H264, making a double-pass compression, the the key-frames can be properly calculates set.
I don't say don't to set manually the number of Key-frames, but you need to think first.
In one hand you where setting 5Mbps data rate, that I think would allow a key-frame every few frames. In the other hand you where separating the key-frames too much.
The truth is that I don't know much about the GOPs in h264, this is why I let it in auto.
But think that MPEG-2 normally goes from 15 down to one (Intraframe), and more k-frames, more quality.
You have to set "render all YUV material in High precision" in the Sequence Setting> Render tab.

[Roli Rivelino] "Also is this mix of footage a common thing with the XD was it an artistic decision or just a mistake do you think? "
Normally is a need.
In 1080 you have more definition, but you are tight to p24/25/30, while at 720 you can shoot p50/60.
This for slowmo is great. With the EX you can shoot at 720p24/25/30, that gives you less compressed picture you can get from the camera. Also if you think to end up in SD, 720p may be a better option.
As you see there are many things to consider before to decide the shooting format and some times you need to use both.
What is important with the XDCAM footage, as any other compressed format, is to try to avoid unnecessary processes and when rendering always use a good codec (Prores of course).
Best,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]