FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects content in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Jones
After Effects content in FCP
on Feb 12, 2010 at 2:10:18 am

I'm sure this has been asked before. I did cool 3d space stuff in AE, then imported into FCP. Its a 30 sec commercial for broadcast. I hear you can duplicate the timeline and use ProRes as the codec, to preserve the look of the graphics. Does this method work well, and how can you accomplish it? Second question is how should I export it once I'm done to preserve full quality? Animation maybe?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: After Effects content in FCP
on Feb 12, 2010 at 2:39:57 am

Use ProRes 4x4 out of AE. It has an alpha and plays in rt in FCP.

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Feb 12, 2010 at 3:21:28 am

I use AE 6, so no ProRes 4x4 only 422. I actually used the Animation codec out of AE and into FCP. Looks great in FCP, but how should I export out of FCP? Something lossless I imagine. What's the best option?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 12, 2010 at 4:37:24 am

[Matt Jones] "What's the best option?"

Uncompressed 10 bit 422 closely followed by ProRes.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:51:12 am

Hi Matt,

Animation codec doesn't mix well with other formats in FCP. The quality is great, but you won't notice a difference by just exporting as ProRes 422 from After Effects to begin with. The benefit being that you'll get better playback in FCP, which loves ProRes as a format.

I always export high quality final versions of my work from FCP as ProRes, so getting my various media elements into ProRes early on saves having to render all the time.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]