FORUMS: list search recent posts

mulitcam sequence to multicam -- is it possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bronek Sniezek
mulitcam sequence to multicam -- is it possible?
on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:56:55 pm

i have created a multicam sequence in fcp7 using timecode so that i have all my cams synced for the entire day of shooting. now of course, some of the cameras drift a bit during the day with regard to timecode, so i have gone into my multicam sequence and manually adjusted the layered clips so that they all match up perfectly. now here's my question: is it possible to take those clips that are now lined up on my sequence in a composited (layered) manner, and turn them into a multiclip? or, do i have to use the razor tool to cut through the layers of clips when i want to switch angles? thanks!!

bronek

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: mulitcam sequence to multicam -- is it possible?
on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:26:07 pm

You make multiclips in the browser, not the timeline.

Return to posts index

Bronek Sniezek
on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:12:58 pm

so then, is what i would like to do possible? because even if i drag all my newly-alligned clips to the browser, i still don't have the option of making them into a multiclip with their new alignment. or am i missing something here?

bronek

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:31:38 pm

You can't do what you want. That's not the way a multiclip is made. Consult the manual for proper creation of a multiclip, its all there.

Return to posts index

Kris A. Wotipka
on Feb 13, 2010 at 5:34:00 am

You know what you want to do and you are almost there. You are just going about it in the wrong place. I often drag all of the clips and stack them into the sequence so I can play around with timing and see if there is any drift. However, that is not where they are created. You select the clips you want in the browser and then make the multiclip (right click option). You will need to know where you want them to sync though. That is why I like playing with them in the sequence, you can set "IN" points or "OUT" points back into the browser window and sync them with that. That was probably a bit confusing so read the manual. The one for Studio 2 is very well written. Wish I could say the same for 3.

kw

kris@wotipka.com
Image maker

Return to posts index

Mitch Jacobson
on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:17:14 pm

Instead of marking ins and outs, I make a syncmap and add edits where the groups will be. Then I make a ThrashGroup.

Once you have a sync map In Final Cut Pro, with your clips layered vertically, you can add edits where groups are possible and copy and paste the clips right out of the timeline and throw them into a bin for "automatic in-point grouping".

What's the time savings behind this? Because the new clips have automarked in-points, you wouldn't need to insert a common Alt timecode to group to (like Tim's Bulletproof MultiGroup), nor do you have to go through the steps of matchframing and marking ins and out for each clip.

Making a ThrashGroup:

1. Create a sequence sync map with angles stacked on tracks vertically.

2. If dual-system audio: match to timecode as a base.

3. If timecode doesn't match up, sync by hand or use sequence liner or PluralEyes. Use markers or an audio cue or what ever...just get everything in sync on your timeline.

4. In timeline, add edits cutting across all the synced tracks to mark the groups. Use arrow keys to quickly jump and Add edits to the beginning and end of each clip where there is a timecode break. You are essentially using add edits to mark all sections that are "group-able".

5. Pull out all clips between the add edits from sync map by copy and pasting them to the Browser or a bin. This will make new master clips group-able by the first frame as in points. No need to mark anything. (I pre build a quick folder set - one for each set of grouped clips. This where I also save the resulting multiclip.)

6. Make multi-clips from new clips.

7. Drag into track above the original stacked clips. They should be the same length and right in sync.

8. Check for sync and matching timecode. Multiclips are ready to edit.

Now you could make a clean copy of this sequence with only the multiclips in the timeline ready to edit.

Mitch Jacobson
Producer/Editor: Avid & FCP
New York City

Return to posts index

Casey Cole
on Oct 31, 2010 at 4:33:22 pm

you can't create multiclips this way, from a sequence, but I had a similar problem working with cameras that were not jam-synced during a 3 camera shoot. You need to get all you camera clips in sync with each other, using multiple video layers (however many cameras you have). first lay out your first camera. Then, use that as a guide for matching your second, third, etc... Once you have the first entire angle laid out, then load the first clip of your next angle into your viewer. find the exact frame that correlates to a frame in the first angle sequence. Once you find them, use the gang sync, top of viewer and canvas, to lock the two and scrub through to check picture sync through out the clip. If it is totally in sync, then overwrite onto V2, the next video layer up. Once you have these clips laid out, proceed to the next angle. You will end up with a sequence, with however many video angles you are working with. Make sure to cut in audio as well, if you have it on these clips, as it helps with fine tuning sync. After you are sure the entire program is synced between the multiple angles, then export each video layer with it's respective audio as a it's own quicktime reference movie, using same as current settings. Re import these new full clips into your project, choose all, select modify and make multiclip based on in points. If you have a long program, break the new master clips into segments, giving it handles to ensure you have enough space to adjust if need be. Good luck!

p.s. this is not the correct way to do this, but a viable work around in a pinch. Main point is to make sure you get jam-synced masters as the original files, or create your synced multiclips before you start editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]