FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jittery Credit Rolls

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Nakashima
Jittery Credit Rolls
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:58:59 pm

I’ve never had great luck making non-jittery closing credit roll (termed a scroll in FCP), but I’ve used them when single pages won’t work. In both SD and HD, with a Blackmagic card, now with a AJA card, that slight annoying jitter has never changed much. Not to mention several attempts at AfterEffects produced credit rolls. Anyone have any tips to make these things less jittery - rock steady would be nice.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Jittery Credit Rolls
on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:34:33 pm

The font you choose plays a big roll in the process. Serif fonts tend to jitter because the Serifs are so skinny they have an interlacing problem. Make the font a Sans-Serif font or add some weight to the font. Also, you may want to play around with Motions new Credit feature. Best of luck and hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Stace Carter
on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:46:49 pm

After following the above advice, you might also try adjusting the color or opacity of the font (you want to avoid 100% white) and it might help to put a small amount of blur or defocus on the clip.

Cheers,
Stace

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:30:34 pm

Have you tried using the built in Boris crawl? The FCP rolling text tool is awful but Boris is buttery smooth.

Also there is a new credit roll tool in Motion if you have FCS3. I haven't tried it yet but it is supposed to be smooth as well.

With credit rolls from AE, I have always asked for the roll to be rendered with fields to a quicktime file. (99% of my work is delivery to broadcasters as interlaced 25 fps HDCam). If your project is interlaced, then an interlaced roll will look much smoother. It is always a fiddle with speeds and fonts and blur with progressive projects in PAL in my experience.

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:18:58 am

One way of doing a rock steady credit roll is to create your credit roll in photoshop with sufficient resolution. You ONLY NEED TO MATCH THE HORIZONTAL RESOLUTION. The vertical resolution can be what ever is necessary. Then key it over the background video. Position the beginning of the clip just out of frame on the lower part of the screen. use the motion tab to set a keyframe. Then at the end of the clip position the bottom of the keyed image at the top just out of frame. Set a second keyframe. Watch the result. I understand that FCP7 has a credit roll built in and the resolution problems have been solved. might be worth the $300 to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:38:47 am

[Richard Martz] "You ONLY NEED TO MATCH THE HORIZONTAL RESOLUTION. The vertical resolution can be what ever is necessary"

I have had keyframed psd's like the one you describe and still needed to add a small amount of Gaussian blur to stop jitters. Font and speed still matter with this method.

Also it must be mentioned that the results need to be judged on an external monitor. Often when it looks right on an external interlaced screen, it looks horrible in the FCP canvas and vice/versa.

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:45:24 am

You are so right! Small text moving slowly can also be problematic with this method. I just sort of assume that everyone will be viewing this on an external monitor.

Richard Martz
MagicMartz Media

Final Cut Pro HD
Kona LH
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]