FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing MXF files into FCP 6.0

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Hopkins
Importing MXF files into FCP 6.0
on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:57:25 pm

A client of mine using FCP 6.0 is having problems importing a batch of MXF files created by the Sony XDCAM Clip Browser. Premiere CS4 supports the direct editing of MXF files (alone, without the original card's content/file structure), and I'm wondering how he can go about obtaining the same functionality in FCP.

Is an upgrade to 6.02 required? Is a conversion of every MXF file to MOV required, and if so, is there any software out there you can recommend?

So far I've come across the Calibrated{Q} software, but I'm still unclear as to whether or not that will allow for directing importing and editing of lone MXF files in FCP.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing MXF files into FCP 6.0
on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:29:19 pm

There is no native MXF editing in FCP...not with FCP alone. You need third party software to deal with that, like MXF4MAC, Calibrated or Raylight. But if you get the Sony XDCAM Log and Transfer plugin, you can then import the files as .mov quicktimes. FCP is designed to work with QT files. Why not import that way? Why the insistence on editing native MXF? There is no quality loss.

But, if you must, there are options.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Randy Hopkins
on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:51:56 pm

Thanks for the quick response Shane. Just so I'm clear on this, the Log and Transfer plugin will let him import the lone MXF files (as in, no original content/structure folder) as MOV?

If so, that's the perfect solution.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:07:09 pm

NO FILE STRUCTURE!?! Did I miss that? Wow...who the heck does that? WHY the heck do they do that. Stupid stupid...

ANYWAY...moving on.

There are demos for all those options...I'd try them all and see what works. XDCAM is not my forté.

Shane

Return to posts index

Randy Hopkins
on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:38:50 pm

There has to be a way to accomplish this without the original file structure. Premiere CS4 (and even CS3) handles it just fine.

I'll tell him to try those out. Any other help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:47:31 pm

[Randy Hopkins] "There has to be a way to accomplish this without the original file structure. "

There is...with third party solutions only. FCP doesn't work with MXF natively.

[Randy Hopkins] "Premiere CS4 (and even CS3) handles it just fine. "

Premiere CS4 isn't FCP. Avid deals with them too, but guess what? Avid isn't FCP either. Just because ONE application does it doesn't mean another will. They are two different applications.

Shane

Return to posts index

Randy Hopkins
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:21:59 pm

I understand that. FCP's incompatibilities and trivial shortcomings are no strangers to me. This is just a new one.

What I still don't understand is whether or not Raylight or Calibrate will convert or allow for the importing of "native" MXF files sans original file structure. Both product descriptions mention direct editing from a P2 card, or from an existing file structure, but it's still not clear to me if they would also support a single MXF file.

Anyone with XDCAM experience have any insights?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:31:24 pm

[Randy Hopkins] "
Anyone with XDCAM experience have any insights?"

MXF4mac will.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Randy Hopkins
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:35:31 pm

$500+ software isn't an option in this case, though I appreciate the suggestion.

Any cheaper alternatives?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:36:22 pm

As Shane mentioned, there's demos. Go see for yourself.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:44:20 pm

Well...you are trying to fix a mistake...a pretty big one. Not saving the entire card structure. Sure, some NLE's deal with that natively, so people get lazy and only think of that. But now you are trying to edit the footage and are stuck. And you want FREE or very cheap solutions.

Try Raylight...that is $99..or is it $199? I forget. Calibrated is $79...get the demo and see what that does.

Or your only other alternatives are to edit with software that deals with the MXF files natively.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2010 at 10:08:47 pm

[Shane Ross] "Well...you are trying to fix a mistake...a pretty big one. Not saving the entire card structure."

Oh no, no. That's freee! Don't you get it? Why would you pay for something that will help clear up a mistake? I bet whoever shot it got their day rate, even though they almost took down the shoot.

But $500 for software that works? Man, that is way out of line.

It should be freeeeeeeeeeeee!

Return to posts index

Randy Hopkins
on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:05:09 am

1. The problem is not $500 for software that works, it's $500 for trivial importing functionality that should already be included in the grossly overpriced FCP.

2. The camera op assumed a level of competency software side that apparently doesn't exist for FCP users at this point.

3. We've decided to get around that incompetency and just rewrap everything as MOV with a $35 piece of software. Another successful FCP circumventing (sad, sad, sad).

Thanks for the help though, guys! Really couldn't have done it without your snide remarks and vague, misguided direction!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:07:42 am

[Randy Hopkins] "
Thanks for the help though, guys! Really couldn't have done it without your snide remarks and vague, misguided direction!"

Not a problem. Enjoy!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:17:25 am

[Randy Hopkins] "t's $500 for trivial importing functionality that should already be included in the grossly overpriced FCP. "

GROSSLY OVERPRICED! Man, where are you coming from? Where were you when an Avid cost $65,000? OVERPRICED? Avid costs $2295 and is a deal. Premiere costs, what? $1000? FCS too? What are you basing THAT math on? Sony Vegas? iMovie?

FCP is QT based...always has been. If you don't like it...if you want that "trivial import functionality," then you can always go to Premiere. Don't get FCP then bitch about what it can't do. There are tons of editing apps out there to choose from.

[Randy Hopkins] "2. The camera op assumed a level of competency software side that apparently doesn't exist for FCP users at this point. "

No, the camera op assumed that what he was doing was right and proper...and they were just plain WRONG. Always archive the full card. This is the standard practice for ALL tapeless formats. If they only backed up what they did because it works for ONE NLE, but not all, then they made a mistake. Human error...pure and simple. They assumed wrong. Never assume. Back up fully. Now you see what happens when you assume.

[Randy Hopkins] "3. We've decided to get around that incompetency and just rewrap everything as MOV with a $35 piece of software. Another successful FCP circumventing (sad, sad, sad). "

Good. Glad it worked. If you dislike FCP so much, why are you using it?

[Randy Hopkins] "Really couldn't have done it without your snide remarks and vague, misguided direction! "

Welcome...glad to give you more for all the attitude you have given this thread. You give attitude, you get attitude. Sorry you didn't like our answers. Glad you found a solution on your own.

Good luck.

Shane

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:35:06 am

Wow, sure is a lot of haten' going around the cow.

From now on, all answers should start with... FCP totally sucks and it get it to do what it should do right out of the box try...

$1000 buck for software that you can edit and CC uncompressed HD footage with, the nerve.

Return to posts index

terry mccaul
on Dec 6, 2010 at 4:01:15 pm

Hi jeremy, i'm having the exact same issue. Can I ask what software you used to work around it?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2010 at 6:13:15 pm

[terry mccaul] "Hi jeremy, i'm having the exact same issue. Can I ask what software you used to work around it?"

Hi, Terry. I use (and highly recommend) MXF4mac QT Import.

http://mxf4mac.com/index.php/quicktime-plug-ins.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

terry mccaul
on Dec 7, 2010 at 6:53:09 pm

Many thanks jeremy!

One more question - does anyone happen to know the directory structure for mxf files? I ahve the plug-in for FCP and now need the final piece of the puzzle, that i hope will work...

Yes I downloaded the .xf files from my CF cards without the card structure. Lesson learned but now need a solution!

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:17:46 pm

I use Calibrated and MXF4Mac...I think I am leaning towards Calibrated for the quick stuff.

Sorry, if you lack the card structure, you can't just rebuild it and things will work. The other folders in that card structure contain files that relate to the MXF files, like AUDIO and CLIP...clip being the metadata. If you lack those files, FCP cannot import the files via Log and Transfer. Rebuilding will not help now.

Shane

Return to posts index

terry mccaul
on Dec 8, 2010 at 3:42:35 pm

Hi Randy, can I ask what the $35 piece of software was you used?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:45:22 am

[Randy Hopkins] "$500+ software isn't an option in this case, though I appreciate the suggestion. "

So, what you're telling me is that your project isn't really important enough to be worth $500.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:40:51 am

With the last version of Clip Browser you can read the MFX on your Mac.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Phaedra Bell
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:39:28 pm

I have been given footage on an EXT HD in XML/MXF format and when I try to import it into FCP it says I need to choose a translation document.
I have never done this before and do not understand the command.
Can anyone please help on explaning how I get the files to work in FCP.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

tenzin yingchuk
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:11:11 am

Hi,

I have never worked with mxf files but have edited videos on FCP. You have suggested that we should do log and transfer and convert the files to qt. Could you please give a step of direction? I have captured dv tapes before never clicked on the log and transfer plugin. All my mxf files are saved on a portable hard drive. Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:15:44 am

MXF from P2? I hope you have the full cards backed up. And yeah, I have a tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/p2fcp6.php

Shane

Return to posts index

terry mccaul
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:37:23 pm

Thanks for the fast reply Shane.

Ah, I see. So the ONE & ONLY way to now edit my files in FCP is getting this software (not a huge problem)? What about making them prores files in Avid, then compressing, could that work? Without the full structure?

My files read - CLIPS000/AA0000/AA000.CIF
AA000.XML
AA000001.MXF
AA000001.SIF

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:44:12 pm

[terry mccaul] "So the ONE & ONLY way to now edit my files in FCP is getting this software (not a huge problem)? "

Correct. Calibrated...MXF4Mac...Raylight. Only ways.

[terry mccaul] "What about making them prores files in Avid, then compressing, could that work?"

Avid doesn't make them ProRes. ProRes is an APPLE thing. Avid will import and work with the files natively, as that is the file format it currently uses. But then you'd have to get all the clips out of Avid to FCP...meaning you'd have to export them as Avid QT files...and download the Avid codecs so that FCP could see them. Or import them into Avid, string them all out on a timeline, and get Automatic Duck to convert the sequence from Avid to FCP.

It would be best to just get the third party options...

Shane

Return to posts index

terry mccaul
on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:26:41 pm

Great, I'll go third party. Many thanks Shane

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Dec 10, 2010 at 3:16:13 pm

Shane - on 2/10 you wrote

"There is no native MXF editing in FCP...not with FCP alone. You need third party software to deal with that, like MXF4MAC, Calibrated or Raylight. But if you get the Sony XDCAM Log and Transfer plugin, you can then import the files as .mov quicktimes. FCP is designed to work with QT files. Why not import that way? Why the insistence on editing native MXF? There is no quality loss."

This is good news - as I am considering a camera ( Canon XF 105) about to be released that outputs MPEG-2, 4:2:2 video in an MXF file format on CF Cards and shoots 60p/60i, 30p and 24p at up to 50Mbps and uses the Canon XF Codec.

Two questions - Do you know whether the Sony plug-in you mentioned above would work with this video, enabling me to import the files as Quicktime? Or is there a better way that I should be looking at before purchase?

Thanks - always enjoy your posts!

PS _ I'm currently running FCP 6.06 on a Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 with 4 GB of RAM.

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Feb 11, 2010 at 4:29:24 pm

Hi Randy,

I believe Clip Browser (free from Sony) will allow you to re-create the correct file structure onto an SxS card which you can then Log & Transfer into FCP without problems. I did a similar thing to this recently as some data had become corrupted or was missing even though the actual video files were clearly there. I'd give that a try before parting with any cash.

The fact that FCP doesn't read these files natively isn't really an Apple shortcoming - Sony does it's best to make it difficult to use the files in anything outside of Sony Vegas. Typical Sony, and typical of third parties to find ways around it and then charge good money for the technology. I understand your frustration though, it can seem like the world is against you when things just don't work properly.
The simple solution, of course, is to repeatedly punch the person responsible for erasing the original file structure.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Mark Santa-Maria
on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:34:09 am

Randy, I didn't see where you mentioned if the original BPAV files were already gone and could not be used to just import directly into FCP using the log and capture or the stand alone sony app xdcam transfer.

If you no longer have access to the BPAVS, then what was the 35 dollar solution you found. Was it lossless and quick? Let us/me know -

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]