FORUMS: list search recent posts

making independent files out of subclips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
making independent files out of subclips
on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:32:44 am

I've got the manual in front of me and I've searched the cow, and by the time I figure this out, it will be morning. I've captured an HDV tape as one long clip (unfortunately, my computer doesn't seem fast enough anymore to use the start and stop command). I've broken the file into several subclips and have renamed them. Now I'm trying to figure out how to turn the subclips into little independent files so that I can discard the big one. Isn't this possible? I've tried dragging a couple into a timeline, making independent, but when I search in finder, I'm still pulling up the single long master clip. I've also tried copying them in Media Manager with the same result.

Isn't there a way to actually make copies of the subclips, so that they will be right there in my capture folder with all the others?

Thanks,

Chris

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: making independent files out of subclips
on Feb 10, 2010 at 5:23:13 am

Chris,

Cut the selects onto a timeline and use Media Manager. (Read through the manual for a more thorough explanation.) Select "Copy" and set handles if you want them. Enable the "delete unused media" button and let it create a new project. This should copy only the desired portions and not the rest. When it's done, delete the original, longer media files.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:23:55 am

This is not doing what I want it to do and nothing I try is. It is only making copies of the subclips and putting them into a new project - but they're still subclips with the wavy icon. I want to see new media files being copied in my capture folder from the subclips. I want to be able to delete the big file and then import or have the 20 new files created from it. Is this not possible???

Incidentally, I've never had to capture like this before. But the "create new clip on stop/start" detection was missing 5-10 seconds on some clips, giving me the message "Searching for media" before capturing. This happened on maybe 20% of the files. HDV. Could it be because I had copied over previous footage and was capturing from the same tape? Or is this just an ongoing symptom of my dying computer?

Chris

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:30:40 am

I don't have the documentation handy, so I'm not sure how it's described, but you may need to do one step first. Copy your sequence and select "make sequence clips independent". Then do the MM thing. See if that helps.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]