FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are There Rules of Thumb for Text on a Big Screen?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Silenzi
Are There Rules of Thumb for Text on a Big Screen?
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:35:55 pm

Hi all,

I'm used to creating work and then exporting for the web. On the web, I've found it's important to use space well, so I'll make the text big and readable.

I'm doing my first project for a film festival, a big screen. Are there any rules of thumb for how text appears on the big screen? How much padding should I leave around the edges? It is better to have text low than high? Do these screen shots look alright?

Thanks,
Andrea

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Stephen Smith
Re: Are There Rules of Thumb for Text on a Big Screen?
on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:54:34 pm

I would look at the text size on some high end movies. Art of the Title Sequence has a bunch of opening titles for you to look at. Notice that the text is not very big on movies. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:29:42 pm

I agree with Stephen, who by the by is an excellent motion graphics artist in his own right.

With regard to your first example Andrea, I think all of the text is slighty low. The "weight" of the combined graphics should appear much like a framed print or painting, which is always slightly above center, which tends to give it just a bit more majesty than text that is perfectly centered.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Andrea Silenzi
on Feb 11, 2010 at 6:07:25 pm

Thanks guys! Stephen - that link was very helpful. I am totally subscribing to that blog.

If anyone is reading this post in the future with the similar problem, here's a trick I'm using now to gage the text size. I made a fake audience with a sheet of notebook paper and propped them in front of my laptop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]