FORUMS: list search recent posts

Massive Problems w. MacPro (2009) + FCS3 + GeForce GTX285

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Waldhofer
Massive Problems w. MacPro (2009) + FCS3 + GeForce GTX285
on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:20:27 am

Hey Guys!

I have a huge Problem working in FCP 7. Everytime I apply an effect on a clip (ProRes 1080p) and try to render it, I get the either the message: "Hardware cannot render at the requested size and depth" or "Insufficient Memory".

Both messages are puzzling me, because I have a GeForce GTX 285 and 8 Gigs of RAM. Final Cut uses only 1.2 Gigs.

Now I know, that there could be a problem with the high-precicion 10bit YUV mode and that it requires a strong GPU (which I guess, I have) - so I switched back to 8bit. Now it renders perfectly.

BUT: This cannot be the answer - I mean, I have the second best graphics card for Mac and FCP tells me, that I need a better one? I apply the same effects on a different Mac with a GeForce GT120 and there it is no problem at all! (although there are other problems with color - i'll post it in the other forum ;))

Does anyone else have issues with FCS and the GTX285?

Thx!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Massive Problems w. MacPro (2009) + FCS3 + GeForce GTX285
on Feb 9, 2010 at 12:33:17 pm

Hi Christian,
They want more GPU.
Solutions:
- Work in 720
- Work in 8b.
If you are working with two monitors, try to unplug one before rendering.
This will free some resources from the GPU and most of the times is enough to allow the rendering.

Best,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Christian Waldhofer
on Feb 9, 2010 at 1:34:23 pm

More than a GTX285?

I have a second Workstation equipped with a MacPro 2008 and a GeForce GT120 - which is a much smaller setting. Over there, I have worked with HDCAM SR and RED Material and it worked like a charm.

So, I don't really think that it has something directly to do with insufficient GPU power. But I can also be wrong ;)

Greets!
Christian

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:49:39 pm

Hi Christian,
I'm not much up date with graphic cards.
Now I see that you have a very powerful one.
I get that message when I try to apply FXplug on Prore 1080, but my card is much more limited than yours.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Feb 9, 2010 at 6:19:55 pm

Do you have the latest driver and CUDA Application Support?
From Nvidia web site:

"In order to run MAC OS Applications that leverage the CUDA architecture of the NVIDIA GPU, you will need to download a runtime CUDA driver. This is specific for the GeForce GTX 285 for MAC and the Graphics Driver 18.5.2 shown above. Please download and install the latest CUDA driver for MAC located here.

New in Release 18.5.2f16:

* Improved compatibility with recent Mac OS X Software Updates."

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 9, 2010 at 6:19:58 pm

Regarding Color, ATI cards work best in Color. The ATI 4870 will smoke in color. I realized that may not solve your specific issue in color since I don't even know what it is, but that's a start.

Regarding the render issue in Final Cut. Just for the sake of asking, what effect are you rendering? I used to have issues with certain 3rd party plugins rendering in High Precision YUV. If you are using a 3rd party plugin, make sure you have the most recent version.

That's weird that it works on one system but not the other. Are the OS versions the same on both? Likewise, same version of Final Cut?

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Christian Waldhofer
on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:12:45 pm

The GTX does very well in Color - the problems are only in FCP

The Color-related problems are on my other workstation, the one with the GT 120 in combination with Color 1.5.1 - if you want, I can post an image when I'm back at work (altough it's a little bit off-topic in this thread ;)).

Btw: Both Workstations are running on OSX 10.6.2 and FCP 7.0.1

Workstation 1 is a MacPro 2008 8x3 GHz / 16GB RAM / GeForce GT120 / Blackmagic Multibridge
Workstation 2 is a MacPro 2009 8x2.66 GHZ / 8GB RAM / GeForce GTX285 / Blackmagic Decklink Extreme

Honestly - I can't remember the effect right now - It is the project of a collegue of mine. Let me check that again tomorrow at work. All I know is, that it was a simple built-in effect.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Feb 10, 2010 at 3:36:11 am

Is it ProRes 4444? It is an abnormal frame size? If so, I ran across the same issue not long ago. Could be a bug...

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Christian Waldhofer
on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:22:09 pm

I tried a drivers update now - it says, that I have already the latest update :/

It is a normal ProRes 422 1920x1080 25p Sequence...

Return to posts index

Matt Browning
on Sep 1, 2010 at 10:02:09 pm

I've got the same problem. There have been a number of projects that I have to re-export/re-render as 8-bit to get rid of weird rendering issues. I notice the problem most in bright areas of the image. I've even had the case where I'll apply Genarts Sapphire filters to limit the chroma snd luminance...Prior to rendering the results are legal, but after rendering I'm clipping at 110 on my scope. When I switch to 8-bit, the rendering matches the preview frame specifications. Since these filters render using the GPU, I am pretty certain that the issue is the GTX285.

The specs of the card are impressive, but the drivers are not mature. I'll probably be replacing my GTX285 in the next couple of minutes. Anyone want a used GTX285 for a bargain? Haha.

The other rendering problem that I mostly see is that bright areas that should render as white render as black, like the white has burned through and there is no longer any data there for those pixels. I've seen this over a wide range of footage and formats from 1080, 720, and various SD codecs.

My FCP will also often crash when I open a project with a lot of h264 footage from Canon 5D that has not been transcoded. And who wants to transcode a boatload of footage the client has provided on a hard drive. Of course I'd convert on log & transfer if I was doing that bit...anyway I won't elaborate on that gripe, but I did want to confirm the experience that you are having with the 285.

I didn't shoot 1920x1080 AVCIntra 100 to then have to render the timeline at 8-bit. Next.

Anyone have thoughts on the new ATI cards with FCP?

Matt

Matt Browning
Ikonik Media, Inc.
Professional Blu-ray & DVD Authoring
http://www.ikonikmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]