FORUMS: list search recent posts

external hard drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Kiersky
external hard drive
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:14:55 pm

Hi all,

I just was given (at work) a 1tb external hard disk for use with final cut, it only supports USB, with a transfer rate of 480MB/s, is this going to cut it for final cut? or do I need some firewire?

thanks,
ak

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: external hard drive
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:28:39 pm

The simple answer is NO, USB cannot support the sustained throughput required for video playback.

The more complex answer is, if all you're editing is DV with straight cuts and the occasional dissolve, you might get away with USB.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:32:29 pm

Thanks David,

just the answer I was looking for.
it's such a pretty drive though, I hate to give it back, the new LaCie designed by Neil Poulton.

ak

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:38:52 pm

[Aaron Kiersky] "it's such a pretty drive though, I hate to give it back, the new LaCie designed by Neil Poulton."

Yes, black does make everything cool, doesn't it?

In any case Aaron, your work will go a whole lot smoother with a firewire 800 drive, and even smoother than that with a one of the configs that has two drives internally striped together as Raid 0.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:23:42 pm

with the external raid boxes, many say they work with firewire 800, but it looks like the next step up is to a raid enclosure and a raid pci card for my mac pro. would this be the best option overall, or would the 800 work well enough?

just to give some perspective, we mostly output sd, but much of the footage is hd,(what our client sends us) I can't imagine having more than two of the hd streams playing at the same time (for transitions, or multiclips).

I am looking at the G-tech G-RAID3 with eSata and firewire800, when connected with eSata it gets 200 MB/second, would this suffice? seems to be a good option.

thanks!
ak

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:20:06 pm

eSATA is with out a doubt the very best solution. If that is an option for you at work then do it by all means. The 200mb/sec is far from overkill. It slows as the raid fill up, as all drives do anyway, but the throughput will make your entire system run better and will provide far better realtime performance than you've ever experienced. I'm testing a new raid now that provides 700mb/sec, and trust me, the last thing on my mind is concern about it being overkill, as the faster the raid, the better the overall editing experience.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]