FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to online ProRes Proxy to ProRess 422 and above

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megumi Nishikura
How to online ProRes Proxy to ProRess 422 and above
on Feb 7, 2010 at 12:34:50 pm

Hello,

I am starting to shoot a feature documentary film. I am intersted in taking my AVCHD footage and converting into ProRes Proxy files for offline editing due to the sheer volume of footage I foresee shooting.

When I'm ready to online, I was wondering, how do I go about doing this? Do I keep the original AVCHD files stored on harddrive somewhere and transcode those to ProRes422. Or does FCP, through media manager, online the ProRes Proxy files that I have been using to edit with?
I've been searching the forums for more information on onlining ProRes but everything seems to vague to satisfy me.

Thank you for your feedback,
Meg

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: How to online ProRes Proxy to ProRess 422 and above
on Feb 7, 2010 at 1:21:35 pm

Personally, since even a single firewire drive can play ProRes 422 files, I'd simply buy more drives and edit in the high res files from the get go. How much footage are you having to deal with time/wise?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Megumi Nishikura
on Feb 8, 2010 at 1:49:20 am

Hi Jerry-

Thanks for your feedback. While this is ideal, I'm concerned that I will run out of drivespace/money needed for all the footage I'm about to shoot. I'm looking at probably a maximum of 10 hours of footage/per month over a six month time period. Taking that footage and converting it into ProRes would certainly eat up a lot of hardrive space.

Anyways, I'm still exploring my options. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:30:53 pm

Meg,

[Megumi Nishikura] "I'm looking at probably a maximum of 10 hours of footage/per month over a six month time period. "

You do realize this is only 60hrs. At ProRes 1080, this equals around 3.5 TB which is about $400 in drives these days. Shane's instructions work fine but it's worth considering editing this in fullrez for $400. You could prob even use ProRed LT if your source is AVCHD.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Feb 7, 2010 at 1:37:23 pm

Meg,

I've done this, but on a very small scale. So keep that in mind:

Log and Transfer your footage using PR Proxy to transcode. Build your sequences and edit. Now Log and Transfer once again, this time using PR 422 to transcode. Make sure you tag using a clear naming convention (Proxy vs. 422).

Now dupe the project sequences, and reconnect the clips in the new sequences to the 422 versions.

As I said, this may not work for you based on the amount of footage that you will be dealing with. But as noted, this workflow works well for me.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:29:27 pm

Paul-

That's a good way, but you can use the media manager to recapture just your final timeline. No reason to log and transfer the whole project and reconnect manually.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Shane Ross
on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:45:32 pm

You need to media manage your final cut BEFORE you reimport the footage.

Here's the process in a nutshell.

- Backup your full cards. This needs to be done no matter what you do.
- Log and Transfer the footage as ProRes Proxy.
- Edit.
- When you lock picture, Media Manage the sequence using the MAKE OFFLINE option, choose the codec you want to reimport this footage as...ProRes 422. You will end up with a new sequence with only the footage used in the cut, with handles (yes, give yourself like 3 second handles).
- Use Log and Transfer to load all of the card backup folders. Just locate them...don't transfer again. You are telling FCP where the folders are. Close L&T.
- Highlight the sequence in the Browser, or all the clips in the MEDIA folder that is created, and choose BATCH CAPTURE. This will bring up the Log and Capture interface, but don't worry, it will now log and transfer the footage, and ONLY the small chunks of video you choose. It will recognize the IN and OUT points.

Do a small test and see for yourself. I have done this with AVCIntra P2 and it works well.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Megumi Nishikura
on Feb 8, 2010 at 1:42:26 am

Hi Shane-

Thank you for this. This was exactly what I was looking for.
The only other question that this raises is about whether I can rename the files when transcoding them through "Log and Transfer" or should I keep the file names exactly the same as they are numbered from the SD cards.

Thanks again for your help!
Meg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:04:47 am

Did you name them the first time?

Return to posts index

Megumi Nishikura
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:27:59 am

Hi Jeremy-

I'm just getting started so no I have not named them yet. Off the SD Card, the files are named 0001.mts and so and so forth. I personally would like a little more descriptive title such as "Tom_00010." I know you can rename them in FCP's "Log and Transfer" but I wonder, if the original files are not an exact match then this will cause problems later on when media managing.
I am just trying to get my head around this whole process before I begin.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Meg

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:13:42 pm

Changing the names when you ingest won't hurt a thing. At least it doesn't in the world of P2. Seriously, I'd test this. Ingest a few clips from a few cards, change the names, make a really basic cut, then Media Manage and try to Batch Capture.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:48:16 pm

[Megumi Nishikura] "I personally would like a little more descriptive title such as "Tom_00010." I know you can rename them in FCP's "Log and Transfer" but I wonder, if the original files are not an exact match then this will cause problems later on when media managing."

DO NOT RENAME THE ORIGINAL. Rename only in Log and Transfer. When you go to do the final conform, FCP will be able to find the original files and keep the names you assigned in log and transfer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:50:44 pm

Shane, Jeremy,

I just tested this. If I'm inaccurate, please correct me.

The Log and Transfer Preference that sets the ingest version of ProRes remains static until the user alters it. So, if you initially Log and Transfer using Proxy, then Edit, Media Manage ... Create Offline with the new Sequence set accordingly ... Batch Capture, and then "Re-import all offline items in Selection", the reconnected clips are still going to be Proxy versions because of the current setting in the Log and Transfer window. I can confirm this is true.

The way around it is before you Media Manage and re-connect, manually open the Log and Transfer window and edit the ingest setting to Prores 422 or whatever. So now after Batch Capturing and Re-Importing, the new clips will be in the proper format.

As I said, I just tried this, and it works well as I explained. Am I on track?

-paul

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:55:55 pm

Hmmm...I thought that the Media Manage, choosing CREATE OFFLINE and choosing the format you wanted to capture as would do the trick. But if you tested and figured out that you must set the L&T preference to the proper rate, I'll believe you.

FCP has more than a few hiccups.

Shane

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:58:31 pm

In any case Shane, thanks. This is a great tip.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:07:30 pm

[Paul Figgiani] "and then "Re-import all offline items in Selection", the reconnected clips are still going to be Proxy versions because of the current setting in the Log and Transfer window. I can confirm this is true."

Yes, it's true.[Paul Figgiani] "The way around it is before you Media Manage and re-connect, manually open the Log and Transfer window and edit the ingest setting to Prores 422 or whatever."

Yes. YOu can do this after you media manage as well. Simply open the l&t window, choose ProRes or whatever, then choose batch capture from the bin. No reason to reconnect anything as FCP will do that for you.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]