FORUMS: list search recent posts

weird colored horizontal artifacts or "hits"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dag Yngvesson
weird colored horizontal artifacts or "hits"
on Feb 7, 2010 at 4:12:44 am

Hi,

I'm having a big problem w/ FCP on my Macbook Pro. It started a few months ago and has gotten worse: Odd, green or multicolored horizontal lines that flash across the viewer and canvas when I'm playing footage. They used to come and go, now they're fairly constant and have begun to show up elsewhere, like on non-video windows, and in fact on Firefox as I'm writing this post. But they particularly show up on playing video, or in blank canvas/viewer windows in which I've pressed play.
I'm on a 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB of ram, running OS 10.4.11 and FCP 6.0.6. I run my footage (P2 720p) off a Maxtor firewire drive, but that doesn't seem to be the issue as the lines show up w/out any footage, and I've been using the drive w/ the same footage for quite some time before with no problems.

Is this a bad video card? It's now causing frequent crashes (entire system freezes) as well. I just did a clean install of OS and FCS (and multiple fix permissions, trash prefs, etc), but it doesn't seem to have helped any.
The problem seems to be exactly the same as this woman, who has photos of it-only in my case they don't show up on DVD files. There didn't seem to be any conclusion to her post.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/977059

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Dag Yngvesson

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: weird colored horizontal artifacts or "hits"
on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:37:00 pm

Looks like interlacing to me. And the web, computer monitors, don't like interlacing. Deinterlace your footage, or if you shoot specificially for the web, shoot progressive.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dag Yngvesson
Re: weird colored horizontal artifacts or "hits"
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:18:15 pm

Thanks for the response. It actually turns out to be a hardware issue- the computer was getting too hot and causing the video card to glitch (the 'hits' are pretty different looking than an interlace prob). For now the solution is to keep the macbook pro elevated so the bottom gets more airflow, and keep SMC fan control on at least 4000rpms. But it may be a faulty fan since the problem started suddenly last Spring, and the only other change was going from FCP 5 to 6.

Dag Yngvesson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]