FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone Use Tiffen Dfx2?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Stapleton
Anyone Use Tiffen Dfx2?
on Feb 7, 2010 at 12:16:42 am

Hi guys, just curious if any of you are using the Tiffen Dfx2 plugin within Final Cut Pro. I bought it a while back but have only started experimenting with it lately and have noticed that it's very very slow to render.

For example, I have a 12 minute clip on the timeline right now and the only filter on the clip is the *GlimmerGlass* filter from Dfx2 and FCP is saying approx 15 hours to render this out. The clip is 1920 x 1080 30P. Compared to Magic Bullet - this render time is just insane : (

I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this kind of render time with Dfx2???

~~~~~~
Mac Pro | Two 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel | 16 GB RAM | OS X Snow Leopard | Two 23" Apple Cinema Displays | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | Final Cut Studio | Logic Studio

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
Re: Anyone Use Tiffen Dfx2?
on Feb 7, 2010 at 9:21:19 pm

I have never used the Tiffen branded set of filters, but several years ago I used these filters on an Avid when it was called "Digital Film Tools 55mm" and they took forever to render. I only ever used it on :30 or :60 second spots because any long form stuff would take all night to render. Of course, this was 5-6 years ago on a G4.

Return to posts index

Dean Stapleton
on Feb 7, 2010 at 9:24:53 pm

I'm waiting to hear back from Tiffen regarding this issue. I guess I should really start trying to do these filter effects in Apple Color. I've been learning Color and I'm really having fun with it. I'm sure it would render out filter effects faster then Dfx2 - just need to start figuring it all out. I've stayed away from the Color FX room because it just seems so "complicated" LOL.

Cheers.....

~~~~~~
Mac Pro | Two 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel | 16 GB RAM | OS X Snow Leopard | Two 23" Apple Cinema Displays | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | Final Cut Studio | Logic Studio

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:33:24 pm

You're not the only one to notice this. I, too, am seeing this same issue. We've been using the filters since they first came out.

But here's something I would like for you to look at for me, Dean. Try using the Polarizer on a clip and tell me if it shows alot of noise in the clip. For me, its OK because I like that look but one of the other guys working in our shop won't use it because of this. What do you see?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]