FORUMS: list search recent posts

Planning Clean SL Install Tomorrow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tours
Planning Clean SL Install Tomorrow
on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:57:00 pm

FCP 7.0.1, Boris Red 4.3.3, BCC 5.5, Mac Pro early 2008, dual quad 2.88, 10gb ram, P2 and Beta Sp sources, Kona Lhi.

Anything I should know before doing a clean install of SL tomorrow????

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Planning Clean SL Install Tomorrow
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:14:41 pm

See my following post and be sure to heed the warning in the first paragraph...

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1050273

Also, you'd best check in advance to find out if there are SL issues with whatever raid you're using.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:21:26 pm

I'm off to read the post, but wanted to mention my Raid is an internal apple raid card and bays 2-4, so I have assumed no issues there. Assumed......

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:29:01 pm

Here's mu plan, as it seems now I have read you post before and it stuck:

We are not touching the current system drive - I have obtained advanced replacements of all 4 drives from Seagate. My plan is to keep the current system drive, which is backed up regularly w. Time Machine on a shelf for at least 2 weeks before I send it back - and probably make a disc image for safekeeping. The Raid - bays 2-4 will be formatted RAID 0 - I need speed, not redundancy as I back up compulsively - my system drive to TM and my Raid to externals using Prosoft Backup. I have only one project in progress right now, for which I will save an XML and I have the P2 material on Blu Ray and the P2 to QT files in my external backup.

I am posting on OSX, Boris, FCP, AJA Kona and a few other boards.

I welcome any input - any more steps I should consider?

I know my duel apapter wont work w. SL but I use that w. my MBP which will remain 10.5.8.

Best regards and thanks for your advice!!!!!!

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:50:05 pm

[peter tours] " My plan is to keep the current system drive, which is backed up regularly w. Time Machine on a shelf for at least 2 weeks before I send it back - and probably make a disc image for safekeeping."

Peter,

Go back and read again... I would have said to rely on Time Machine or a disk image, but that's not what I said.

Time Machine does not work well with Pro Apps and you cannot restore them from TM. And, a disk image also requires restoring, and they don't always work.

This is why I say "make a bootable clone." If it boots, you're good to go in minutes, and any old firewire drive will do, and you can put it on the shelf and quit worrying. Get it?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:20:06 pm

OK, the bootable clone is definately now in the plan.

Also, I was not planning on restoring FCS but reinstalling 6, then the 7 upgrade, then download 7.0.1, rather than recovering. In fact I plan fresh installs of all my apps. I am also going to install CS4 instead of CS3.

I am really appreciating this give and take - thank you for taking the time and the interest.

FYI, I have been having a problem with a corrupt project - I finally just finished it - which was the precursor to all my plans. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Late breaking - just heard from Boris they think I should wait as there are issues with BCC5 - they are expecting 7.0.2 shortly.

Screws up my plans....

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:45:44 pm

There is no reason to install FCP6 and then upgrade to 7, just install 7 as fresh and you will be asked for the Ser# for 6.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:57:08 pm

Really? I bought just the upgrade though - but that would save a lot of work!

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:51:11 am

the only difference between the upgrade and the full version is that the upgrade looks for an installed version with Ser#, if it doesn't find it it ask for a ser# of the older version. There is no need or benefit to install the earlier version in fact there are reason to not do it, after all this is why you are doing a clean install in the first place.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:51:48 pm

"Also, I was not planning on restoring FCS but reinstalling 6, then the 7 upgrade, then download 7.0.1, rather than recovering. In fact I plan fresh installs of all my apps. I am also going to install CS4 instead of CS3."

I thought on your first post you wanted to do a clean install, and that you had read David's piece on Clean Install?
Installing FCS2, then upgrading to FCS3 is not a Clean Install, and is an unnecessary step.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:58:42 pm

Yeah, I just heard about that. Going straight to 7 will make life much easier...I guess I need to re-read his post.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:20:20 pm

You know it will format you hard drive.
Do you have Adobe software like Photoshop? If so you will need to de-activate it and then re-activate after you install it. Backup of email settings, contacts, bookmarks, actions, plug-ins, documents, and anything else important on that drive like documents, music, pictures, movies....

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:30:47 pm

Here's my plan:

We are not touching the current system drive - I have obtained advanced replacements of all 4 drives from Seagate. My plan is to keep the current system drive, which is backed up regularly w. Time Machine on a shelf for at least 2 weeks before I send it back - and probably make a disc image for safekeeping. The Raid - bays 2-4 will be formatted RAID 0 - I need speed, not redundancy as I back up compulsively - my system drive to TM and my Raid to externals using Prosoft Backup. I have only one project in progress right now, for which I will save an XML and I have the P2 material on Blu Ray and the P2 to QT files in my external backup.

I am posting on OSX, Boris, FCP, AJA Kona and a few other boards.

I welcome any input - any more steps I should consider?

I know my duel apapter wont work w. SL but I use that w. my MBP which will remain 10.5.8.

Best regards and thanks for your advice!!!!!!

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:04:16 am

Sounds like you have the right idea. The best way to do a clean install is to just pull out your system drive (Bay #1) and put it in storage. Purchase a new HD, put it in Bay #1, and re-install everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]