FORUMS: list search recent posts

lost Quicktime Pro in Mac upgrade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Lennon
lost Quicktime Pro in Mac upgrade
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:38:10 pm

I made the changeover from my old G4 to a newer G5 for my FCP 4.5 HD; everything transferred well and works except my Quicktime Pro. I've tried re-entering my QT Pro serial number from the old machine and keep getting a "invalid serial number" warning. Am I gonna have to buy QT Pro again? I know it's only $30 but I'm already getting nickle-and-dimed in this process and I _did_ buy it once already....
Thanks

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: lost Quicktime Pro in Mac upgrade
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:47:57 pm

If you're running FCS, it should already be installed. It's part of the suite. Not sure with the older versions but it should be there.

Tony Brittan
Apple Certified Pro - FCP
islandshoreproductions.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:49:09 pm

Call Apple and give them your FCP serial. If you registered, they will help you straighten it out.

Newer versions of FCP do not require serials for QT Pro, but I think yours does.

Return to posts index

Robert A. Jonas
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:23:23 pm

I just upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard and my QT Pro software went missing. I've heard that the Snow Leopard version of QT isn't as good as the older QT Pro. Does anyone know more about the difference?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:22:57 pm

[Robert A. Jonas] "I just upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard and my QT Pro software went missing. I've heard that the Snow Leopard version of QT isn't as good as the older QT Pro. Does anyone know more about the difference?
"

Quicktime X in Snow Leopard is not Quicktime Pro as you know it. It lacks nearly all the editing and import/export functionality, as its not really a finished product yet. The Quicktime 7 installer is included on the Snow Leopard disc, and should be manually installed on any system running FCP.

This has nothing to do with the original post, as he is on a G5 and cannot be running Snow Leopard, which is Intel only.

Return to posts index

Martin Percy
on Apr 3, 2010 at 6:47:55 pm

Hi John
Many thanks for this - sorry, a related question please: I have just bought a new 17" MacBook pro (OSX 10.6). It has the useless new QT 10.0 that does not allow you to upgrade to pro. I tried to installed QT 7 so I could then upgrade to pro. However, it won't permit this. Do you happen to know if I can just uninstall QT10 and then install QT7? Or will I just end up with a Mac with no QT at all?!
Your thoughts much appreciated if possible, have a good Easter.
all the best
Martin

Return to posts index

Tom Lennon
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:32:42 pm

I'm using FCP HD4.5 (still), so I'll try giving Apple a call, thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:55:11 pm

You probably have upgraded to a new version of QT when you changed machines. Possibly even the newest version of QT. In any case, your QT pro serial number won't work. It only works for the version of QT that was current when you bought FCP 4.5. Which is like, what, QT 2? :)

So, a QT 5 Pro license is only good for QT 5. And a QT 6 pro license is only good for QT 6.

This was a common problem in the past when FCP gave you a QT Pro license, and somewhere along the way, one updates to a new version of QT without purchasing the latest version of FCP which might either not be out at the time. QT and FCP updates weren't always in sync, and many of us made the mistake and upgraded QT before the next version of FCP.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:05:39 pm

I think having a valid FCP license entitles him to Quicktime Pro, regardless of whether his Quicktime has been updated even to QT 7.

A phone call to Apple will answer that for sure.

Return to posts index

Tom Lennon
on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:49:06 pm

The best advice was calling Apple, which "solved" my problem quickly but in a weird way...

For the record, I had a valid serial number for QT 7 but when I transferred to my "new" computer, it wouldn't accept that serial number. Whenever I typed it in Systems Preferences and hit enter I would be told it was invalid. On the advice of the Apple tech, I typed in the serial number and then I tabbed to the All Systems Preferences menu and then back to Quicktime Preference it was back to the Pro version..

Odd but it works fine now. Thanks for the advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]