FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software to keep track of plugins and other software

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cleverly
Software to keep track of plugins and other software
on Feb 5, 2010 at 12:44:14 pm

Hi all,

I have been enjoying a lot of new plugins for Final Cut Pro of late - most of which have a time-limited demo and then you can purchase after a set time if the plugin suits your need. All thes plugins are nice, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep track of those I have purchased.

As time goes by, however, and if I have not been editing for some time, or I have been so busy that my memory has been affected by a long, drawn-out period of editing :-) I tend to lose track of all the plugins I have downloaded and, worse still, the ones I have paid for. For example, I have recently swapped all my software over to a new iMac and I am sure I have paid for some Final Cut plugins that are telling me that the trial period has expired and I need to buy a license.

I download all plugins into a special folder, but I want to know if there is some software-based method of organising and recording the purchases/licences.

How do you guys handle this?

With thanks,

David

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Software to keep track of plugins and other software
on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:29:57 pm

David,

The answer requires the use of two legacy analog devices that have pretty much been forgotten in recent years by those looking for new handsfree automated solutions. These devices are called a #2 pencil and a pad of paper. These analog devices are still available in most retail stores today even though most users have forgotten how to implement them.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 5, 2010 at 9:16:13 pm

You download them into a folder like you said. Usually the serial # comes in an email. I save that email as a PDF and put it in the folder. I also keep the email which resides on a server out there in cloudland somewhere. As well, my system is on timemachine and I can recover the email if I delete it. As well as the folder of plugins.

A piece of software would be a neat idea. But what keeps up with THAT serial number? Pencil and paper? How do you keep up with the paper? Augh!

Return to posts index

Bjoern Meldgaard
on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:23:06 am

Got AppShelf http://www.kedisoft.com/appshelf/ in MacHeist09 i think. Haven't started using it yet though. I'm still on the 'good-ole' mail and folder hierarchy setup 8^)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]