FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut doesn't export clips in a chronological order?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
Final Cut doesn't export clips in a chronological order?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:40:42 am

First of all you have to cut me some slack since I am sadly stuck with the German version of Final Cut Pro 7 so I might use some wrong terms (is there any way to switch to the English version if you have the German version installed just like After Effects comes with the exe files of any language?).

So here is what I did:
I had one big clip (interview) which I cut into many little clips.
Then I command + a selected all those clips in my time line - put them in a new bin and then I put this new into the Exportlist (I hope thats the right term) where I had to give each clip an individual number like clip_001, clip_002 (sadly by hand. I've got a script for Final Cut Pro 6 which renames the clips for you but it sadly doesn't work for Final Cut Pro 7 which I've switched to).

After this I exported all my clips- now here is my problem:
All clips or segments or whatever you wanna call it in my time line is an a certain order of course since it's an interview. Now I assumed if I select each clip and then put it in the Exportlist that order would remain but once Final Cut exports my clips the whole order gets screwed up and the actual first clip will probably be clip_003 while clip_005 would be the third and so on. So I have to check on EACH clip I've exported.

Why does Final Cut do this and how can I prevent this from happening?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Final Cut doesn't export clips in a chronological order?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:41:17 pm

[Michael Paul] "how can I prevent this from happening?"

In the future, you would do this as you log your tape, before you capture it. If you're working with tapeless media, Log & Transfer will allow you to break up each clip in segments before copying it into FCP.

Please consult your manual for details.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Feb 4, 2010 at 3:07:26 pm

So I know what to do in the future but no there is nothing I can do against this?
Final Cut just exports my clip randomly even though they have an order in the time line?

Also I didn't use "Log and Transfer" but "Log and Capture" (i hope FCP calls it Lo and Capture and not Log and Record or something) for my HDCAM/HDV footage.

So all I got was one clip for each tape which I had to cut up in FCP afterwards and wanted to export in the right order.

So yes I still don't really know how to solve this one.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Feb 5, 2010 at 3:44:21 am

After you placed the clips from the timeline to the browser, you can rename the clips in the browser first, to have the names you want.
Then in the batch export controls select 'Mark in/out' so that batch export respects the in and out for each clip.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:38:54 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have to admit this is exactly what I have done. I renamed my clips in the Exportlist (clip001, clip002...) and turned "set mark in/out" on and turned add suffix (or whatever its called) on as well.

Yet the clips I've got in my time line aren't in the same order as the clips I have export as in: The first clip in my FCP time line might be the exported file clip005.mov while it should be clip001 of course.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Feb 5, 2010 at 9:07:05 am

After you take the clips from the timeline to the browser, you will have timeline clips in the browser. Rename these to reflect the names you need in the order you need. When exported, the exported files will take the names of the clips in the browser, not those in the timeline. So if you name them in the order you need, they will come out that way too.

Actually, I need to check this out, haven't tried this in a while.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]