FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software or RAID for backup of media drive.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Naso
Software or RAID for backup of media drive.
on Feb 4, 2010 at 12:37:18 am

I need to have a safe way of backing up my media drives. I don't want to remove the media from my main RAID0 set up only have a copy of it in case I have a drive die on me. The RAID0 has five 1.5TB drives in it. I purchased three 2TB drives that I can use for a backup system. I'm not sure if a software solution is good or a different RAID setup would be best. I dont want to replace my five bay MacGurus SATA Drive Enclosure with Port Multiplier since its been working very well for me. Do I need to get another one? Looking for some input.

Thanks

Erik Naso

http://www.mediaartproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Software or RAID for backup of media drive.
on Feb 6, 2010 at 1:55:45 pm

Well, data is data... so if you copy the media from the array to these single drives, they may not play them as fast, but they sure would restore back OK to that array you have.

FWIW, disk drives aren't the best solution for this long term. An LTO drive is. Drives die with regularity, but the LTO tape drives will be rock solid for years and years.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Feb 6, 2010 at 5:31:28 pm

Thanks Jerry.
I will look at tape. I have a feeling its going to be pricey, My main goal is to at least have a backup of some kind in case my RAID has a problem. I capture HDV as Prores during ingest so recapturing isn't possible. That is one big down side to this method. However working with ProRes is so much better. I need to think of it like P2 or solid state media. Maybe I should search around for what folks that use these types of media do to back up and use that method.

http://www.mediaartproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 6, 2010 at 8:28:15 pm

If it short term media backup, they likely will do you well. If it's long term backup, tape drives are far more reliable.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]