FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV capture issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Esway
HDV capture issue
on Feb 2, 2010 at 8:58:59 pm

I'm having a bit of a problem capturing HDV60p video with FCP.
First off I'm capturing using my camera since I have no deck, and I'm using Firewire 400. I'm able to to get Log and Capture to work and I can capture the tape. I'm using Capture now since I need the whole tape.
After capture the clips looks OK, but the problem I have is the file size. When I look at my capture scratch folder I see that my clips are only a little over 10Gbs for a total 65 minutes of video. This is less than SD files of the same length. When I use the Mac Finder to get information on the files I see that the clips are .mov with a Codec of MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode.
So my question is, how or why is FCP somehow capturing or compressing these clips as MP2? Shouldn't an hour long HDV clip be much larger in size than 10Gb?

My settings details are below, thanks for any insights you may have.

In FCP Audio/Video settings:
Sequence Preset is HDV-720p
Device Control HDV Firewire 59.94 fps NDF
Capture Preset is HDV

Camera: JVC GY-HD200, shooting HDV-HD60p which is a 720/60p signal on MiniDV tape

Computer: PowerMac, Mac OSX 10.6.2, 2 X 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel, 20GB ram
Final Cut Pro version 6.0.6

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: HDV capture issue
on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:29:08 am

[Ricardo Esway] "Shouldn't an hour long HDV clip be much larger in size than 10Gb?"

No! HDV at 1080i is 13gb per hour, and less at 720p because the frame size is smaller, there are fewer pixels, and thus less information. That's what HDV was designed for Ricardo, and why it is recorded onto to ordinary mini DV tape.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: HDV capture issue
on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:42:35 am

And the reason they are mpeg2 is that is what the HDV codec is. So all is well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]