FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Capture Times

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lou Borella
P2 Capture Times
on Feb 2, 2010 at 5:20:25 pm

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of the ratio of footage to ingest time of P2 standard def media.
I.E. How long will it take to capture 30 minutes of P2 standard def footage. (I'm sure the numbers are based on the file sizes and not the actual durations)

We are going to be working on site using a new MacMini ingest station and FCP7. Probably capturing to a FW800 drive.

I don't need exact numbers but a general idea will help me sell the P2 workflow to the client rather than shooting tape.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 Capture Times
on Feb 2, 2010 at 5:28:39 pm

[Lou Borella] "'m hoping someone can give me an idea of the ratio of footage to ingest time of P2 standard def media.
I.E. How long will it take to capture 30 minutes of P2 standard def footage"

The import times are based on file size. 1 min per GB. So however large those 30 min files are, that's how fast it will import. Are we talking DV/NTSC, or DVCPRO 50? DVCPRO 50 is about 14GB for 30 min, so about 13-14 min to ingest. But know that you also need to take into account time to backup the cards. Another 14 min for that. so 28 min total...ish.

Please tell me you know that you must first back up the P2 card, THEN import. This is very important. Unless you are in a rush and just need to get something cut. Then you can backup later.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:20:09 pm

"Please tell me you know that you must first back up the P2 card, THEN import."

Just curious, but why (i don't have a P2 camera yet)? Is there a chance you can lose the data on the card while you ingest?

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:26:08 pm

[Rob Grauert] "Just curious, but why (i don't have a P2 camera yet)?"

Because you don't keep the P2 cards. You reuse them. So you need to keep a copy of the entire card. That is your tape. Don't tell me that you shoot on tape, capture that tape, then reuse that tape...you don't do you? No, you keep it on a shelf. This is your master. If your media drive dies, and you DON"T have this tape, or P2 backup...you are hosed! Plus, keeping the full card backup means that you can use the footage not only in FCP, but Avid, Premiere, Vegas, Edius. Import into FCP, you are tied to FCP, unless you buy third party decoders.

[Rob Grauert] "Is there a chance you can lose the data on the card while you ingest? "

Not really. I don't think that has happened much. Only if/when the camera lost power mid ingest, or the firewire cable was removed, or card was removed. That might damage things.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Feb 2, 2010 at 10:27:53 pm

ooooh...makes sense!

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved